• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Teac X7R Capstan Motor - HELP!

Richiecee

Active Member
I opened up my machine to replace a VU meter and I have a capstan belt on the way. Also did some minor maint. etc. The unit was not plugged in.

As I reinstalled the face plate, rollers, I was getting ready to test and for whatever reason, the capstan motor is not turning on when I engage the on/off button.

I know I did not burn it out as the unit was not plugged in while I was working on it nor do I smell any burning etc.

Any suggestions on what steps to take?

Thanks
RIch
 
Register to hide this ad
The two tension rollers need to be UP for the capstan motor to spin. You did not indicate if they were UP or DOWN.
 
The two tension rollers need to be UP for the capstan motor to spin. You did not indicate if they were UP or DOWN.
They are in the up position. This is crazy why the motor is not spinning. I would hit the play button and the motors moved an inch and then stop as capstan was not functioning. Now I cannot even get that to happen. I was trying to take some voltage readings and blew out one fuse. I am really good with this stuff and it is driving me crazy.

I could really use your help!

Rich
 
The two tension rollers need to be UP for the capstan motor to spin. You did not indicate if they were UP or DOWN.
Here is a little history over the past week including today:

Some Background: Teac X7R

I had some music fade which I was recently diagnosing. I confirmed the washer on the capstan motor and purchased new belt for the capstan which I have yet to receive. During this, one VU meter went dead so I purchased and installed the left meter.

I was replacing the left VU meter on my Teac X7R, I decided to perform some other minor maintenance i.e. lubricating etc. as I wait for the capstan belt.

When I re-installed faceplate, pulleys etc., I tuned on the, the capstan motors were not engaging (both tension pulleys were up). I would hit the play button and the reel motors would move slightly and shut off.

I was trying to take some voltage figures to see if the capstan motor was getting juice and blew a fuse. Now I can even get the supply and take up reel motors to spin.

RIch
 
I was able to resolve the issue by just replacing the fuses. But they were not blown. I did read another thread where the person just replaced old fuses so I followed that advise.

Rich
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom