• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics 1200 MK2 or Thorens TD125

SCUMM

Needs Muir Cowbell
I know that this question has been posed before on this forum but I want to add some specifics to the original post. I currently have a Technics 1200 and I know in its stock form it really doesn't have much on the Thorens TD125. There seems to be a pretty strong Technics community with many mods available (improved bearing, outboard power supply, new tonearm, record mat, etc.) I am looking to upgrade my turntable and have decided to either go the Technics mod route or ditch the DD and go for a TD125 probably with an SME M2-9. The problem is, I am having a horrible time deciding. I was wondering if anyone can offer there input based on the proposed tables. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Many people put an SME on the Technics and love it. In fact, I will soon be putting an SME3009 on my 1200. The Thorens is an excellent chose also.


Ben aka MacKat
 
First off, the tweak I'd look into is the KAB fluid damper. I haven't heard one myself, but I've heard impressive things about them. SME made a similar tweak for the 3009/3012s. I think that's where you're going to get the most bang for the buck with the 1200s, and it should give you a lot more cartridge choices.

All that said, the Thorens/SME combo with a choice cart and the suspension tuned just right would be really, really difficult to improve on, no matter how you tricked out your 1200. That's drool-worthy stuff there.
 
The SME costs as much as a couple Technics so one would think that this would be the tonearm to use. Whether you slap it on the 1200 or the 125 would be a personal choice. BD vs. DD and the debate will continue ad nauseam.

Me, I avoid that issue using a Magnepan Unitrac on both a Thorens TD-160 Super and Kenwood KD-600. One of these days I might actually give these an opportunity to win a listening session. But I don't care they both sound great.
 
I realize the DD vs belt debate is never ending and I was not trying to take it there. From what I have seen out in the wild(not sure if I can name companies here) I would be spending roughly the same for either table. The Thorens would be refurbished and supplied with the M2-9 arm while the Technics would benefit from the following: Improved Bearing, outboard power supply, Jelco 750 and maybe a few other tweaks. The mods on the Technics may bring it to be more expensive than the Thorens. My budget is not endless and I am just wondering if the Technics is worth chasing. The table I have is very near mint but seems that it would need some work to meet the Thorens.
 
Last edited:
Well a 1200/Jelco 750 is completely different from a 1200. So it comes down to which tonearm will be a good step above the other if we leave the BD/DD debate at the side of the road.
 
Is there anyone that has listened to both tables with any similar components that may care to comment. Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom