I recently picked up a Technics 1600mk2 for a good price off of Facebook marketplace. The owner said it wasn't working, but I figured usually they just need a new cuing belt and some Deoxit in the speed adjustment pot.
When I first tested it and pressed the start button, it sounded like to motor was trying to move the tonearm and the platter spun for about 5 seconds. After replacing the belt, the tonearm picks up, but moves to the center of the record above the label and stays there with the tonearm motor running. After powering off and on sometimes it drops on the label, and picks itself back up. Even when moving the tonearm back to the arm clamp when it's off, it moves right back to the center label and stays there, in the up position.
Any thoughts? When I replaced the cuing belt there appeared to be small spider eggs stuck on the belt, but I didn't see any other traces of dead spiders when the platter was removed. I haven't opened it up fully yet, so maybe there would be something stuck in a tonearm motor gear?
When I first tested it and pressed the start button, it sounded like to motor was trying to move the tonearm and the platter spun for about 5 seconds. After replacing the belt, the tonearm picks up, but moves to the center of the record above the label and stays there with the tonearm motor running. After powering off and on sometimes it drops on the label, and picks itself back up. Even when moving the tonearm back to the arm clamp when it's off, it moves right back to the center label and stays there, in the up position.
Any thoughts? When I replaced the cuing belt there appeared to be small spider eggs stuck on the belt, but I didn't see any other traces of dead spiders when the platter was removed. I haven't opened it up fully yet, so maybe there would be something stuck in a tonearm motor gear?