• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SA-300 Delayed turn off.

Videodubs

New Member
Good evening everyone. Probably just what you’ve been looking for, a new person getting on here and asking questions, Lol.

It would seem that I enjoy trying to fix things on my own without any training so here goes the question. Thanks in advance for your patience.

I have a technics SA-300 receiver and it works. All the controls have been cleaned and I replaced the bulbs above the tuner display. The problem I’m having is that when I turn the power off, the unit takes a while for the audio to dissipate. I don’t think these units had power relays but I’m not an electronics repair technician, nor have I had electronics training. I usually just try to use common sense and get in and figure things out. I am OK with desoldering old circuits and replacing with new ones. I’ve done this before with other things, so if it’s something like removing a part and putting a new one in then I’m willing to tackle it.

Any and all comments and help would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
That’s just the main caps draining. It’s normal. If it bothers you you can turn off the speaker switch.
 
That’s just the main caps draining. It’s normal. If it bothers you you can turn off the speaker switch.
Thanks for the response. I had a feeling it was something like that. It didn’t used to do that though and I would like it to be the way is was if possible. Is there something I can do? and if so, what is it?
 
The longer the sound stays, healthier capacitors.

My amp works that way but I never notice about that, since I stop the music playing before powering off the amplifier. If your amp doesn't have a protection relay, there is nothing wrong with it, I'd forget about it.

With a schematic we can confirm if this is a normal behavior.
 
Turn the volume all the way down first, or some people use an adaptor headphone plug. 1/8" to 1/4". Just plug the headphone plug into the headphone jack before turning off. This should disconnect the speakers. The reason some do this is too save wear on the speaker switch.
 
Thanks, It’s playing music so, i’ll take the advice and not worry about it. I picked up a turntable and a cassette from the same brand the other day so I am going to refurbish them and start playing some records and tapes I haven’t played in years.
 
Back
Top Bottom