• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SA 5370- my entry into vintage audio

I think it's best to put an end to this or it will go on forever.
Both companies made outstanding products.

True that, still, there's only one thing better than Technics....

more Technics :D

But on topic; the 5370 is a nice receiver, built like a tank and sounding fine, still there are some things to keep in mind; most likely it would be quite happy with a recap and - at least at the 5570 - the variable capacitor's metal parts are prone to tearing (if you notice the turning wheel isn't fully parallel with the chassis it's on it's way to break off sooner or later).
 
My first "real" stereo was a 5370 - 48wpc as I remember. Love the looks of that series of Technics. IMHO the sound was more "clinical" and less "warm" or "fat" then my friends Pioneer SX650, which would have been the Pioneer near equivalent in their lineup. If your speakers tend toward a "mellow" sound it will be a nice receiver.
 
Last edited:
Too many of you are splitting hairs. You profess that your choice in vintage gear is the best. I don't get it. Whatever brand of receiver is your favorite is just fine!

Then there are speakers: :music:
 
Some of the top of the line Technics are extremely rare X 10

They can't have made a lot of them

And the cost might be close to a house for a full system .......

I might just dream about them for know
 
Never had a pioneer that didnt disapoint,but may be just bad luck. Anyway just my opinion and we all know about opinions. I used to swear I would never displace my marantz but a sansui is moving in its place. Not some big power monster either! For that I have my flame linear. I just got that amp and pre and everytime i use it I giggle like a drunk virgin at Chippendales.
 
I hope emotions have cooled and this thread is back on track.

I had an SA-5170. It was the epitomy of a creampuff, bought from the original owner, who always kept it in a stereo cabinet in the living room.
I really liked it. I kept it for about a year.
It was a very pretty receiver.
I sold it to a self-professed Technics Guy who drove 80 miles to get it, and who is surely treating it well.

The sound was definitely a bit more neutral than some of my other equipment, but that's not a serious issue.
A couple of twists of the tone control knobs adjusts things to my preferences.

I would definitely buy a higher-end model from the same line.
 
I had a 5170 last year, sounded absolutely wonderful with small Polks. Incredibly good detailed clear sound, made them come alive like nothing I’d ever heard before or since.

Miss that rig! Loved my sky-blue, would totally buy another in a heartbeat!
 
I had a 5170 last year, sounded absolutely wonderful with small Polks. Incredibly good detailed clear sound, made them come alive like nothing I’d ever heard before or since.

Miss that rig! Loved my sky-blue, would totally buy another in a heartbeat!

there are a few for sale on the bay right now.
 
Back
Top Bottom