• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SA-5470

Dr. Music

Super Member
Just bought one of these grand old receivers on the 'bay for $40. Now I'm patiently awaiting it's arrival :)

When I decided to start indulging myself a little in vintage audio I decided one goal was to find and own at least one example of each of my first two Technics receiver model line purchases from my teenage years, the Technics SA-xx70 line and the SA-x00 line from the 70's. I didn't want to specifically replicate the SA-5170 because it's only 25 watts per channel; I decided I wanted to at least go to this model (65 watts) or higher in power.

I've been reading here in the forums that many have the opinion that the lower wattage Technics offerings from the 70's weren't built as well as those farther up the power and price ladder. Are there any owners past or present out there that can tell me what their experience with this particular model has been?
 
Register to hide this ad
You lucky dog! I was looking at that one too and had gone to VintageTechnics to check out the specs and 5 minutes later your bid had been excepted. It's exactly like the 5460 but came out in 1977 where as the 5460 was made in 1976. I bought my 5460 new in 76 and paired with HPM-60's which are rated at 60 watts. No problem driving them with the 5460 and would really push the bass. But they do tend to have a higher distortion rate at higher vol. which I learned over the years of use. When I got my HPM-100's I hooked them up to the 5460 to see how it would sound. I was quite dissapointed compared to my SX-1250, but that's how the food chain goes. Other than replacing some burned out bulbs it's been repair free except for the tuning bracket. It's made of grey "pot metal" that tends to start cracking on the top. There's a tuning gear mounted on the shaft on the inside of the bracket and the large pulley on the outside of it. Over years of tuning in stations the force from the string and pulley crack this fragile piece and will break off rendering the tuner useless. Hopefully your tuning bracket isn't broken. I would suggest that when your's arrive, remove the wood cover and put a drop of light oil to each one of the tuning pulley shafts so they funtion smoothly to help relieve any stress pull to the tuner. Here's a link for you all on Technics gear http://www.vintagetechnics.info/menu.htm Enjoy!
 
That line of Technics stuff is better built and (IMNSHO) better sounding than the next two (i.e., the SA-x00 and the SA-x0x lines). I have a 5470 sitting in the basement and it is pretty decent. Had an SA-5270 for a while, too (both were dump finds).

A cheezy composite of the two :-)

technicses-1.jpg


The innards of the 5270 (which photos I happened to have handy).

P1020734.jpg

P1020736.jpg

P1020738.jpg

SA5270toprear.jpg
 
That line of Technics stuff is better built and (IMNSHO) better sounding than the next two (i.e., the SA-x00 and the SA-x0x lines). I have a 5470 sitting in the basement and it is pretty decent. Had an SA-5270 for a while, too (both were dump finds).

A cheezy composite of the two :-)

Thanks for the pics mrh :) As I mentioned, I had one of the
xx70 and one of the x00 series as well. I had trouble with my 5170, but in its defense I was 17 and had that puppy CRANKED when I blew it up back in the day. The 500 was a better looking unit, but I'm not sure it was a better sounding one. I'm curious to see how this one performs.
 
You lucky dog! I was looking at that one too and had gone to VintageTechnics to check out the specs and 5 minutes later your bid had been excepted. It's exactly like the 5460 but came out in 1977 where as the 5460 was made in 1976. I bought my 5460 new in 76 and paired with HPM-60's which are rated at 60 watts. No problem driving them with the 5460 and would really push the bass. But they do tend to have a higher distortion rate at higher vol. which I learned over the years of use. When I got my HPM-100's I hooked them up to the 5460 to see how it would sound. I was quite dissapointed compared to my SX-1250, but that's how the food chain goes. Other than replacing some burned out bulbs it's been repair free except for the tuning bracket. It's made of grey "pot metal" that tends to start cracking on the top. There's a tuning gear mounted on the shaft on the inside of the bracket and the large pulley on the outside of it. Over years of tuning in stations the force from the string and pulley crack this fragile piece and will break off rendering the tuner useless. Hopefully your tuning bracket isn't broken. I would suggest that when your's arrive, remove the wood cover and put a drop of light oil to each one of the tuning pulley shafts so they funtion smoothly to help relieve any stress pull to the tuner. Here's a link for you all on Technics gear http://www.vintagetechnics.info/menu.htm Enjoy!

Eagle, I'm kind of curious to move back to the xx60 line and try one of those on for size as well. Aside from the number changing for xx60 to xx70 the only change I'm sure of is the removal of the xx60's black trim on the faceplate.....
 
Eagle, I'm kind of curious to move back to the xx60 line and try one of those on for size as well. Aside from the number changing for xx60 to xx70 the only change I'm sure of is the removal of the xx60's black trim on the faceplate.....
The 5470 has a wood case that extends past the face plate where as the 5460 has a wood case which sits flush with the face plate. I think Technics was trying to copy a little bit from Pioneer and others for the looks with the 5470. There may be more tho as I start digging into my 5460 more with the tuner assy. It appears that the 5460 pulley/gear bracket where the tuner pully shaft mounts thru faces to the rear of the rear of the receiver where as most are located on the top including the 5470. If anyone has a 5460 and is willing to take some good pics and post to show the orientationthat would be great. The only SM I've been able to find and have is piss poor in detail. That way I'll be able to post updates to the pot metal fix and results. Thanks.
 
This grand old beast just showed up over the weekend. In very good shape other than some fool's numerical etching on the top right of the face. Seems a little brighter than my Kenwood but still a good sound with plenty of power. I can't hear any big output problems but still plan to giver it a good Deoxit cleaning when I get the shipment I ordered.

First time I've heard a xx70 series Technics since 1977!!
 

Attachments

  • P1010030ed.jpg
    P1010030ed.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 181
SA-5470 parts?

I recently picked up one of these babies at an estate sale. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to look inside while there to determine that the tuner bracket was not only broken, but completely missing. I searched around and found a parts store that stocks 5 items for the Panasonic model, which I assume is the same. They are listed as "knobs", "controls" and "drums", so I have no way of knowing if any of these are actually a tuner bracket. I have the sneaking suspicion I am out of luck here, and would be better off making this a "bench" receiver, set to one station. Any thoughts? Does anyone even know what the part number is for this pot metal piece, or if it is generic to other (lower power) models? I gotta believe that someone will replicate the part eventually, if this is such a common problem.
 
I recently picked up one of these babies at an estate sale. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to look inside while there to determine that the tuner bracket was not only broken, but completely missing. I searched around and found a parts store that stocks 5 items for the Panasonic model, which I assume is the same. They are listed as "knobs", "controls" and "drums", so I have no way of knowing if any of these are actually a tuner bracket. I have the sneaking suspicion I am out of luck here, and would be better off making this a "bench" receiver, set to one station. Any thoughts? Does anyone even know what the part number is for this pot metal piece, or if it is generic to other (lower power) models? I gotta believe that someone will replicate the part eventually, if this is such a common problem.
Technics did not sell this as a seperate part to my knowledge as there isn't a PN for it. It's listed as part of the tuner assy. From my research for a replacement for my 5460, the 5460 and 5470 drive pulley is located on the top and side of the tuner. http://www.vintagetechnics.info/receivers/sa5470.htm Others were mounted to the rear of the tuner allowing for less stress to the bracket. Luckily I was able to repair mine with JB Weld, it took me 3 different applications in 3 different spots because it would break in a new location after repair. In your case you'll have to find a 5460/5470 parts unit with a good bracket, but all the ones I've seen listed are cracked and broken. So for now set it to your favorite station and enjoy it while you wait for one to come around. Good luck.
 
I bought a mint 5370 a few months ago on ebay for the ungodly price of $10. Fortunately, I was able to do a local pickup. Turns out I didn't really like the sound quality that much (mids and bass are kind of muddy), but it cleaned up beautifully and has a nice, classic look to it (virtually identical to the 5470).
 
I lOVE my old 5370 bought it about a year ago and cleaned it up looks sounds and performes awsome.

Have fun listening to you'res
 
Thanks Guys

I went back to the estate sale to look for the part but no luck. They made an adjustment to the price so I own the receiver for 5 bucks. Not too bad. Also, I picked up the speakers that were with the receiver for $10. They were Hartley Zodiac '77s, and showed continuity at the jacks. Seemed fair. Will put in my shop, find a favorite station and fire it up...
 
Where I live FM reception is all but futile until I slap up an outdoor antenna mast when the spring arrives. The 5470 is listed at 65 wpc, so it will still make for a pretty nice little $5 amp.
 
Back
Top Bottom