• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

technics SA 5760

gwestwood

New Member
Was interested in picking up a vintage high powered receiver such as a pioneer sx 1250 or Sansui 9090 when I stumbled upon this beast.I grabbed it and I'm impressed.Not much hype on the net about this receiver like the pioneers and sansui garner.Any opinions on how the Technics stacks up.Might continue to look for something else because of the what if factor.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9361.jpg
    IMG_9361.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_9363.jpg
    IMG_9363.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 166
Register to hide this ad
Greetings and welcome to the asylum!

Real workhorse amp. a true battleship class. Part of the story is how did you come by it and any history? (please don't mention money.)

Looks clean on the outside. whats the serial number? Considering they're pretty rare and has a 4 gang fm tuner.

Here's a service manual link.. free to join and no spam.
http://www.hifiengine.com/library/technics/sa-5760.shtml
 
Last edited:
Technics receivers are typically underdogs in a positive way: they're quite good, but underestimated, although the trend has been going slowly towards the opposite recently.

Quality-wise, the 5760 is very good, but a little inferior compared to Technics' integrated amps and tuners from that time (circuit-wise), ignoring the strong output power. I would definitely keep it for it is the third-most powerful Technics receiver ever made. Above it were only the successor SA-5770 (about 20W per channel more output power) and the all-time most powerful stereo receiver in the world: the SA-1000.
 
That Technics SA-5760 is definitely one sweet receiver to have. A year ago my brother asked me if I could assist him in starting up an audio system, which of course I did. I came across a seller on craigslist that was selling vintage gear. We went over to his house and he had everything laid out and setup for demonstration purpose's. One of the first things that got my attention was the Technics SA-5760 receiver that he had, after he turned it on. I was taken aback on how good it sounded and looked as well as how smooth it handled when changing the dial. Get this, he had it listed for $100 bucks, but was willing to take $80 for it. I told my brother that if he didn't take it that I would. He brought it. Needless to say he's very pleased with it's performance. He has two turntables connected to it as well as a 100 count CD player. He also has a pair of Bose 901 Series V speakers, along with the Series V Active Equalizer, connected to it and it can kick out that sound. The Technics SA-5760, I believe, is rated at 165 Watts Per Channel and you can definitely hear it.
(One big heavy bastard too!)

You got yourself an excellent find. :tresbon:

I was also able to locate an Owner/User Manual for it so if you would like a copy send me a PM and we'll take it from there.
The only thing is, is that, currently I am not at home and will not be back till sometime early next week so if you can wait till then I should be able to send it to you? (currently using the hotel's internet services)
 
Last edited:
I picked it up as a trade for a pair of speakers I was selling.(energy 22s).I don't know the history .It is in great shape.I have a slightly modified Thorens 160 ,a Carey cd1 tubed cd player with a grant 11 dac and a set of swan diva 5.1 speakers hooked up.The phono stage is quite good and I find that my headphones perform well with this amp.As far as the serial number goes I can only find a Canadian safety standards sticker with a number on it.
 
There are some who consider that series superior, sound-wise, to the behemoth SA-1000. I would be among them.

I have its little brother, the SA-5570 (5560) at 85 watts x 2. And I'd say it's pretty close to most other classic 85 watters by the "better" known, more admired silver face receivers of that time. In other words it can easily hang with Sansui, Pioneer, Yamaha and Marantz models of that era!

Has a NICE tuner too!

Enjoy!

cnh2
 
Checked out one of these at a shop today, along with a 5460. The shop owner couldn't get the 5460 working, but the 5760 sounded pretty sweet. I'm not sure if I want to pull the trigger on it, though, since it seems like it might be more power than I can handle. (It'd certainly accelerate my quest for better speakers.)
 
I would recommend that you go back and get that Technics SA-5760. That receiver can do alot and is rare at that. You don't come across that particular model often.

It's never a bad thing to have too much power. Put it this way, as for power, well then....'better to have more than enough than not enough at all'...and you don't even have to have it cranked up all the time (only when those favorite tunes are played)?

Checked out one of these at a shop today, along with a 5460. The shop owner couldn't get the 5460 working, but the 5760 sounded pretty sweet. I'm not sure if I want to pull the trigger on it, though, since it seems like it might be more power than I can handle. (It'd certainly accelerate my quest for better speakers.)
 
Quite a nice receiver and indeed a heavy one. I have (and rebuilt) two, so I know all about it :D

qXMWpq8.jpg
 
Well here we go purchase the machine Technics 5760 for 195 dollars and took it to Hyle's audio in Johnson City NY paid 150 dollars to check it over and what a power house! This thing just is so powerful! Will see if the next Receiver is as powerful for 345 America dollars! Running Altec 848 and 4312a speakers keeping the volume down low! What is may most powerful receiver that I have not sold before listing to it!
 
a guy dropped off a 5760 that he found at an estate sale. there were two and he left one (he said later this was a mistake).

it had a blown channel so it took some time to get working but what a beast! I could have lived with that receiver.

Sassy, enjoy your 5760!
 
Back
Top Bottom