• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SH-R808 infrared remote

Homey4uk

Active Member
Hello everyone. I have searched and researched a way to add remote control for volume to my vintage equipment. Multiple (15 at last count but who is counting?) neurosurgeries after a traumatic brain and spine injury make moving difficult and sometimes impossible. Does anyone know about the Technics SH-R808? It just says infrared remote. Has line level RCA input and output but also has proprietary looking tuner and tape and phono “microphone” (sorry I don’t know the correct term) looking inputs, so I am worried it might only work with Technics SH series equipment. I performed multiple Google searches changing all kinds of variables and found nothing but a few manuals that only showed how to remove the cover......I appreciate any and all feedback! I really need at minimum volume control but would love to be able to do other things if possible. Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
The amps that were designed to work with this had a set of in/out jacks, like preamp out/power amp in, but I think before the volume control. At any rate, if your system has preamp level in/out, you should be able to use it for volume control, but that's about it (you could probably use it in a tape monitor loop if nothing else). The rest of it was proprietary. The jacks you call "mic" inputs (most likely 3.5mm phone jacks) were to control the various components, but of course only for the Technics components that this was designed to work with.
 
The amps that were designed to work with this had a set of in/out jacks, like preamp out/power amp in, but I think before the volume control. At any rate, if your system has preamp level in/out, you should be able to use it for volume control, but that's about it (you could probably use it in a tape monitor loop if nothing else). The rest of it was proprietary. The jacks you call "mic" inputs (most likely 3.5mm phone jacks) were to control the various components, but of course only for the Technics components that this was designed to work with.

They look Iike inputs for studio monitors or something. Similar appearance (kind of) to say an S-video input but 5 times larger, but I agree they look proprietary. If I can adjust volume that’s good enough for me. I don’t have pre-amp but do have empty tape monitor in and out. So you think it will control volume via tape loop? Just keep the receiver at a reasonable pre-set level? Thanks.
 
They look Iike inputs for studio monitors or something. Similar appearance (kind of) to say an S-video input but 5 times larger, but I agree they look proprietary. If I can adjust volume that’s good enough for me. I don’t have pre-amp but do have empty tape monitor in and out. So you think it will control volume via tape loop? Just keep the receiver at a reasonable pre-set level? Thanks.
Those are standard DIN connectors and not at all proprietary, but the protocol used no doubt is.

I think that the remote volume control linked by @70's Rockfan is a better bet. Yes, you could use it through the tape loop, as long as you don't use your system for recording. And assuming you have Amazon prime, you can return it if it doesn't work.
 
Those are standard DIN connectors and not at all proprietary, but the protocol used no doubt is.

I think that the remote volume control linked by @70's Rockfan is a better bet. Yes, you could use it through the tape loop, as long as you don't use your system for recording. And assuming you have Amazon prime, you can return it if it doesn't work.

Thank you, DIN! I should’ve known that, but brain injury. I have two sets of tape input/outputs. Use one for my EQ (sorry if that is a 4 letter word for some of you), the second is open. I tried using it for my iPod but it sounded so bad my ears threw up. So buying the little Chinese thing is a better bet than the vintage Japanese with a nice silver face that will match the rest of my components? Or were you saying the Technics should work via the available tape? It looks, in theory, like it should. The other unit would have to feed through the same inputs. I’m not arguing, just asking. I asked too many questions before the injury, now sometimes ridiculously difficult concepts are grasped immediately and simple things fly right through the scrambled grey matter......
 
It's a better bet because you can return it, plus it comes with a warranty. You didn't mention the price of the Technics, but if you can get it for something like 10 bucks, sure, go ahead.

If you're already using an EQ, you should connect this device between the EQ out and the tape in. That's assuming you always keep the equalizer in circuit; if not, you'll have to play around with your tape dubbing controls. Better to connect it that way and use the equalizer's defeat switch if you want to play the system sans equalization, rather than trying to disable the equalizer by switching off the tape monitor.
 
Back
Top Bottom