• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Technics SL-1200 MK2

If the table and tonearm have not been abused I wouldn't hesitate (if the price is right).

Built to last, and sound wonderful.

:thmbsp:
 
Not one bit facetious. I was looking at the Technics and I was concerned because one sees so many "For sale. Two Technics in carry cases, no dust covers, DJ carts and extra styli, will add in mixing and FX boxes for X$ more" then they go on to claim "Never used outside my bedroom"

Honestly, when I saw a reputable seller at a price not much more then the used (abused) ones go for here, then new really does seem the way to go. I'm not looking for another project right now.
I think the carry cases are a bit of give away - you'd only buy them if you were going to take them out of the bedroom!

I've owned 2 x 1210 mk2s for almost 20 years. Thet've seen some action and they're still fine, very hard wearing, and very robust (I even dropped one, upside, smashed dust cover otherwsie fine!).

I have seen one where tone arm become loose in it's mount (bearing?) and more commonly, the strobe light going, the pop spot light going and the pitch controls sometimes pack up too(happened to me once in 20 years), but the latter problem is very easy to fix.

All of the above are signs of wear, tear and high usage. As I said, I've had mine for 20 years, they're been used quite a lot, and everything (except the faulty pitch control) still work s fine.

One thing I would say though - they ain't pretty :D
 
Last edited:
...I wouldn't hesitate (if the price is right).
:thmbsp:

That's really one of the main issues .... here in the lower mainland of Vancouver the Technics TTs that I have seen offered are not being sold by old farts like me who dabble in audio stuff ... mostly they are ex DJ tables .... assuming one could find a decent one of those offerings then they still come with DJ carts, no dust cover and have the to-be-expected aesthetic issues and finally comes the price ....everyone is asking about $450+.

That's the point at which I say that for a few bucks more I get exactly what I want with zero issues.... I'm not knocking 'used' as ALL of my Thorens are used....its just the value part of the used Technics equation that does not seem to work in my neck-of-the-woods.
 
Back
Top Bottom