• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-1200 With Shure M7DM

Alucard

Active Member
So I Have a Techincs sl-1200 with a vintage Shure m7dm cart and I Went to align it and I Can't figure it out .

I Think its cause the way its designed it doesn't work with the protractors on vinyl engine. Does anybody know what I Should do

The cart sounds amazing on some records like Magical And others are kinda distorted and saturated :/ Maybe ill just buy another headshell and find another cartridge for different vinyl.
 
Register to hide this ad
What weight are you tracking it at? If original it had one of the fatter spherical styli that really need to be at around 4-5 grams to work right.
 
supposedly its a n21d and i am tracking it inbetween 2 and 2.5

I Am going to up the weight and see if it changes Its supposed to be a n21d
 
You have a good TT, later on try a AT OC9ML/II MC on that TT. :music: Do you have the Panasonic overhang gauge part# SFK0135-01? If so use it with a original SL-1200 head shell and line the cart up with it per instructions ( see vinylengine). You will be surprised how close the cantilever will be when used with a Stevenson protractor. Email Kevin at KAB they do some really good upgrades to this TT. Every time you increase the tracking weight on the tone arm for that Shure cart watch the cantilever and see if it is flexing or bottoming out past 2.5 grams.
 
You have a good TT, later on try a AT OC9ML/II MC on that TT. :music: Do you have the Panasonic overhang gauge part# SFK0135-01? If so use it with a original SL-1200 head shell and line the cart up with it per instructions ( see vinylengine). You will be surprised how close the cantilever will be when used with a Stevenson protractor. Email Kevin at KAB they do some really good upgrades to this TT. Every time you increase the tracking weight on the tone arm for that Shure cart watch the cantilever and see if it is flexing or bottoming out past 2.5 grams.
Thank You.
I Think You're Right I Am going to have to get a different headshell I Am using some radio shack headshell that I Got with the turntable
I Am going to come back to this at a later date Its frustrating me
 
supposedly its a n21d and i am tracking it inbetween 2 and 2.5

I Am going to up the weight and see if it changes Its supposed to be a n21d

The minimum tracking weight for that cartridge is 3 grams the maximum is 6 grams! Just looked it up. Yeah, up the weight.
 
M7D body has a nonstandard stylus-to-mounting screw dimension. Use a headshell with slotted mounting holes and put the stylus tip where the Technics alignment gauge says, for a start.

M7D original tracking weight from 1958 introduction was 4-7 grams. Most that still survive today have replacement styli, probably for the M3D which is totally interchangeable: 3-6 grams. The low-tracking force N21D stylus was 1.5-2.5 grams and can be distinguished by its TUBULAR cantilever instead of being stamped out of flat sheet metal, as the N3D and N7D styli were. There are MANY aftermarket stylus hucksters who sell "N21D" replacements made with the stamped flat metal cantilevers. Those phonies lack the stiffness and low mass of the tubular cantilever.
 
M7D body has a nonstandard stylus-to-mounting screw dimension. Use a headshell with slotted mounting holes and put the stylus tip where the Technics alignment gauge says, for a start.

M7D original tracking weight from 1958 introduction was 4-7 grams. Most that still survive today have replacement styli, probably for the M3D which is totally interchangeable: 3-6 grams. The low-tracking force N21D stylus was 1.5-2.5 grams and can be distinguished by its TUBULAR cantilever instead of being stamped out of flat sheet metal, as the N3D and N7D styli were. There are MANY aftermarket stylus hucksters who sell "N21D" replacements made with the stamped flat metal cantilevers. Those phonies lack the stiffness and low mass of the tubular cantilever.

M7dm.jpg
This must be the stamped cantilever stylus you're talking about

Oh well I Thought for sure that it was a n21d
Thank You all very much
 
Here is a Shure M7/N21D with original tubular stylus cantilever.
 

Attachments

  • M7N21D.jpg
    M7N21D.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 27
  • M7N21D(2).jpg
    M7N21D(2).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom