• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL 1300 Mk2 very susceptible to vibrations

edwinh

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just got this turntable. It has the known cueing problem, so I'll have to fix that along with replacing the broken tone arm rest. It replaced a Sansui SR-525, which has been completely immune to vibrations. However, the Technics is extremely susceptible to vibrations, maybe even more than the Thorens TD-160 that I took out of the living room for this very problems (wood floors).

I have to say that the sound of the Technics is the best out of the three, so I'm hoping I can figure this out and feel good about selling one of the other two.

Any ideas about how to track this down? I had thought that being from the DJ lineage would make the SL 1300 Mk2 utterly immune to this kind of thing. With the AT VM95ml and Darlington MM5, the sound is really, really good.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I put some of these Mnpctech isolation feet on my SL-1300 resting on a Butcher Block Acoustics isolation platform and have had very good luck. Using an Empire 2000 / E 111 cartridge with a Darlington Labs MP-7 and very much enjoy this combination.

Mnpctech replacement isolation feet.JPG
 
I've owned one for almost 30yrs. Feedback has never been an issue. If the transport isn't locked down, does the platter have a nice spring to it? If not, you may have to repair the suspension.
 
By this age the feet may be rock hard too, or torn. Technics used a spring inside a flexible rubber foot, and hard rubber or torn feet will greatly reduce the attenuating ability of the feet.

Sorbothane feet and an isolation platform will help if it's not the transport screws, so will a shelf attached to the wall instead of something sitting on the floor -- I'll be doing that someday at my house as the floors are bouncy on the wall I currently have the stereo set up, it's beside then hole in the floor for the basement access.
 
Update: the feet are completely hard. It's weird, if I touch the rack at all, it skips. I can tap on the plinth and no skips.

I couldn't find any replacement feet for Mk2, so I'll try some sorbothane.
 
Update: the feet are completely hard. It's weird, if I touch the rack at all, it skips. I can tap on the plinth and no skips.

I couldn't find any replacement feet for Mk2, so I'll try some sorbothane.
so the suspension isnt locked down and you can bounce the platter up and down by pushing on it? the feet on the mk2 dont do much compared to the feet on other technics tables since the suspension provides the majority of the isolation.
 
so the suspension isnt locked down and you can bounce the platter up and down by pushing on it? the feet on the mk2 dont do much compared to the feet on other technics tables since the suspension provides the majority of the isolation.
This.
 
so the suspension isnt locked down and you can bounce the platter up and down by pushing on it? the feet on the mk2 dont do much compared to the feet on other technics tables since the suspension provides the majority of the isolation.

There are no locking screws present. I can bounce the platter up and down, although it's stiffer than, say, a Thorens TD 160.
 
What is the platform?

Butcher Block Acoustics 1.5 inch maple.
 
Back
Top Bottom