• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-1300G or something else?

Clytor

New Member
I am now seeking a more cart swap friendly turntable with adjustable VTA and detachable headshells. The 1300G is what I've kind of settled on. Is there anything else I should be considering in that price range with those features, new or used?
 
Register to hide this ad
You could go more expensive with the 1200G or less expensive with the 1200GR2 (I have one of these)... I like the 1300G being priced between the G and GR2 and having the best bits of each.
Same. I like the simplified styling of it as well.
 
I am now seeking a more cart swap friendly turntable with adjustable VTA and detachable headshells. The 1300G is what I've kind of settled on. Is there anything else I should be considering in that price range with those features, new or used?

lots of good comments above from other members. Am not aware of anything in the price range of the 1200G or 1300G that is of similar performance new or used. That is why these tables are in such high demand. once in a while a used 1200G will turn up on the hifishark, but they only last a day or two before they are snapped up.
If you buy the 1200G or 1300G be sure to visit KBAUSA.com and order their arm dampener and arm resonance cap. Both are very worthwhile upgrades. And don't forget your phono stage. Lots of great phono stages and clones are being made now for very reasonable prices.
 
lots of good comments above from other members. Am not aware of anything in the price range of the 1200G or 1300G that is of similar performance new or used. That is why these tables are in such high demand. once in a while a used 1200G will turn up on the hifishark, but they only last a day or two before they are snapped up.
If you buy the 1200G or 1300G be sure to visit KBAUSA.com and order their arm dampener and arm resonance cap. Both are very worthwhile upgrades. And don't forget your phono stage. Lots of great phono stages and clones are being made now for very reasonable prices.
Right on. It would be nice to have a Phono stage with controls on the front for everything but otherwise I love my Chinook and will stick with that for now.
 
Right on. It would be nice to have a Phono stage with controls on the front for everything but otherwise I love my Chinook and will stick with that for now.

The Chinook is nice. I have owned 2 of them over the years. One of the best upgrades for the Chinook is to replace those red wima caps near the Opamp.

The stock parts are .47uf at 63 volt. For a few dollars you can put in Nichicon XYZ series film and foil .47 caps. They are a bit larger but still fit. Will cost you about 6 bucks and maybe 45 min of time.
 
The Chinook is nice. I have owned 2 of them over the years. One of the best upgrades for the Chinook is to replace those red wima caps near the Opamp.

The stock parts are .47uf at 63 volt. For a few dollars you can put in Nichicon XYZ series film and foil .47 caps. They are a bit larger but still fit. Will cost you about 6 bucks and maybe 45 min of time.
I have the special edition if that makes any difference in this regard. I believe the additional gain jumper and different tubes are the main difference. What sonic improvement do you get with the different capacitors? I recap stuff all the time, mostly replacing old dried out caps.
 
I have the special edition if that makes any difference in this regard. I believe the additional gain jumper and different tubes are the main difference. What sonic improvement do you get with the different capacitors? I recap stuff all the time, mostly replacing old dried out caps.

I am not sure what the differences are between the SE and non SE versions. If you replace the .47 caps you will get improved clarity in the midrange area. The stock Wima caps are metalized film. The Nichicon XYZ series caps are film and foil. The other nice improvement you can do is replace the metal film resistors on the input board with Vishay bulk foil. You will measurably lower the noise floor several db. see attached photos. The third photo shows the size difference between the two caps. The larger caps will fit.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2046 stock load setting rest.jpg
    IMG_2046 stock load setting rest.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2059 Vishays installed.jpg
    IMG_2059 Vishays installed.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2051 parts size comparison metal foil vs. metalized.jpg
    IMG_2051 parts size comparison metal foil vs. metalized.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom