• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL 1700 advice.

Register to hide this ad
This should be in dollars and sense forum. But the answer for me would be a big fat no. No dustcover and a pretty cheap cartridge. You could do way better.

Where are you located?
 
Considering there's no Dust cover, And it may need a New Cartridge I'd say he's asking way too much. If it were a local pick up, I might offer $125. A Beautifull Technic's 1600 came up 10 minutes from my house in Showroom shape and Included a near perfect Dust cove for $150. I could kick myself for not jumping on it soon enough. That IMO was a Good deal.

At $300 shipped, you can almost buy a New Denon DP300F, that make no mistake, will run head to head with many Lower End Vintage TT's Including my Older Pioneer unit. Read the reviews for yourself. In fact that New Denon might be your best bet for around $300. It comes complete with Dust Cover, A New Decent Cartridge, a full Warranty and Its Properly set up. Used is fine if your handy with that kind of thing, I much preffer Turn Key...New.

Also check a local Stereo Shop you trust. Often people trade in late model TT's less than 5 years old that the dealer may sell for a good price and install and set it up for you if it needs a new Stylis or Cartridge. Still Pretty Much Turnkey.
 
Last edited:
What does he mean by "reconditioned?" Personally, I wouldn't pay that much unless it was the MK2.
 
I've taken apart plenty of the newer turntables. Hate to say it, I don't trust any of them to last, and that includes the entry-level Denons, Pro-Jects and Regas.

The Denon is spec'd at 0.1% wow and flutter. Sounds impressive until you realize that the cheapest turntables that Technics ever made spec out twice as good, and their best ones are four times as stable.

The new entry-level market stinks in terms of value. I have yet to hear the U-Turn tables, but at least they seem to be a fair price for what you're getting.
 
No way, Jose.

Got mine in the same cosmetic condition for $120 shipped, including a minty dust cover. Keep looking, bud. :thumbsdn:
 
Back
Top Bottom