• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-1700, just got one to keep my 1300 company, will 1200 dust covers work?

leesonic

Captured on security camera...
Subscriber
I just picked up a nice Technics SL-1700, this can keep my SL-1300 company.

A couple of questions though. How come the 1700 has a single screw per side for the dust cover, while the 1300 has two screws per hinge? And can I use an SL-1200 dust cover on either of them, since these seem to be more popular? I do like the dome over the tonearm pivot that the 1200 dust covers have.

Also, should the 1300 "bounce"? The 1700, you can push the platter, and the platter and tonearm bounce like they are on a suspended sub-chassis. But the 1300 doesn't.

SL-1700

Technics SL-1700 01.jpg

SL-1300

Technics SL-1300 01.jpg

SL-1700 hinge

Technics SL-1700 02.jpg

SL-1300 hinge

Technics SL-1300 02.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
A note: The Technics SL-1300 does not have suspension like the SL-1700 does. To use a SL-1200 dust cover you need to buy the SL-1200 hinges with it, and the screws for the hinges. It should be compatible, no problem. The hinge receptacles are in the exact same location.
 
Nice find!

I still have my original and love it!

My favorite of the vintage Technics line!
 
A note: The Technics SL-1300 does not have suspension like the SL-1700 does. To use a SL-1200 dust cover you need to buy the SL-1200 hinges with it, and the screws for the hinges. It should be compatible, no problem. The hinge receptacles are in the exact same location.

I see that. I guess the "suspension" is in the feet on the SL-1300. I think the feet on that one are kind of sagging, so maybe it's time for some new ones. Any recommendations?

I did see a link on eBay to some adapters for the SL-1200 that allow the use of hinges and dust covers from the Audio Technica "SL-1200 clones". Apparently Audio Technica still sell replacement parts for these. The cost of a new dust cover, two hinges, plus the adapters is still cheaper than getting an SL-1200 dust cover from Japan. Looks is looks, and I like the dome over the tonearm, but I could probably do new dust covers on both my Technics.
 
I see that. I guess the "suspension" is in the feet on the SL-1300. I think the feet on that one are kind of sagging, so maybe it's time for some new ones. Any recommendations?

I did see a link on eBay to some adapters for the SL-1200 that allow the use of hinges and dust covers from the Audio Technica "SL-1200 clones". Apparently Audio Technica still sell replacement parts for these. The cost of a new dust cover, two hinges, plus the adapters is still cheaper than getting an SL-1200 dust cover from Japan. Looks is looks, and I like the dome over the tonearm, but I could probably do new dust covers on both my Technics.
Encompass Parts has new Technics SL-1200 dustcover, the hinges, and the screws. My own Technics SL-1300 needs feet (I am debating what I will replace them with). So you can buy new, dust cover is sometimes back ordered, but available.
 
turntables with dust covers? Available parts? How fancy :)

Don't sell up yet. When I looked on Encompass yesterday, there were a lot of things unavailable.

Encompass Parts has new Technics SL-1200 dustcover, the hinges, and the screws. My own Technics SL-1300 needs feet (I am debating what I will replace them with). So you can buy new, dust cover is sometimes back ordered, but available.

I checked yesterday, the dust cover for the SL-1200GR showed as unavailable.
 
@leesonic , if you can't find a Technics cover, Reloop has a cover that will work but hinges are spaced differently so some drilling is required. Cover and hinges are not as sturdy as the original Technics but they do the job.

In the thread below you can see what it looked like on an SL-1300 I refurbished for my daughter. I even rebadged the cover.

 
Last edited:
I have had two SL-1300 turntables and they are quite nice, but the known short coming is the feet. They disintegrate over time. I installed the mnpctech feet on the one that needed replacement.
 

Attachments

  • Mnpctech replacement isolation feet.JPG
    Mnpctech replacement isolation feet.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 13
  • SL-1300 (2).JPG
    SL-1300 (2).JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom