• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-1700 vs Pioneer PL-71

vice1984

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am thinking about buying a Pioneer Pl-71 because I really like the look of these wood turntables. I was originally considering a PL-530 but the amount of horror stories regarding the plastic tonearm base have caused me to consider a different model. My question is will the PL-71 be an upgrade over my SL-1700? I am currently running a Shure N97xE Cartridge with the LP Gear Vivid Line Stylus. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
you would gain visual satisfaction having the wood that appeals to you, but it would be sonically a sideways maneuver
 
Having owned both and been inside of both, shrinkboy is correct. If looks are important to you and you like the overall design of the PL-71, get it.
 
Thanks for the information. I think I will just keep my SL-1700, the Pioneer wood tables are pretty pricey these days. Seems like a lot of money to spend for no sonic improvement. I'll take that money and upgrade my cartridge and stylus. Can either of you suggest any upgrades for an SL-1700. Thanks.
 
If you're handy, you can also build a nice wood plinth (box) to slip your 1700 in... I have one for my 1210M5G
 
Start with new power cord and new RCA wires. Dynamat under plenth (under the tone arm area. Clean out old lube from Bearings And replace same with the cueing fluid. If you have a mc phono stage in your pre go for a MC cartridge (huge improvement ).
 
Back
Top Bottom