• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-23 Headshell

Mark Davis

Active Member
I see a lot of generic headshells out there for this turntable.

I have a Empire OP4 with NOS242-DEX stlylist. I am currently running a AT95E/HSB on this TT.

I was wanting to get another Headshell that I could put my Sumiko Pearl on and give it a try.

Any siuggestions?

Thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello ! You could apply headshell Technics, or one of its clones ( Tonar or others). It will be inexpensive and will match the weight and settings of the overhang .
 

Attachments

  • DSCF5999а.jpg
    DSCF5999а.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 18
There are many copies of the Technics headshell but unfortunately cheap headshells are a bit of a lottery - the most common problem is an azimuth error (tilt) due to the guide pin not being exactly in the 12'o'clock position. I recently bought an Audio Technica HS-1, which seems a nicely made Technics clone at a good price.
 
I picked up an SL-23 this weekend with no headshell.
Are the generic Technics copies from Turntable Lab or LP Gear decent enough?
I’ll be using it with an AT-VM95C to start with.
I seem to come across a lot of SL-23s online with replacement headshells.
Are they harvested for use on other tables up the food chain?
Thanks for the help!
Mike
 
There are a couple original SH-98 headshells for sale on the auction site. Audio Technica has a headshell that they sell in conjuction with the VM95 cartridge. Of course there are many aftermarket versions available both new and used. I would be careful about heavier headshells than the original. If you exceed the range of adjustability of the tonearm, then it will not work.
 
Looks like the generics and original are all right in the 9 gram range.
I had read that the counterweight range was limited on the SL-23.
I wonder if there is an appreciable difference between the AT and generics other than the name.
Thanks again.
 
I just checked the manuals for the SL-23, SL-D3 and the 1200 MKII and the 23 had a wider range than the other 2. The headshell was heavier at 9ish vs 7ish grams but other than that it had greater adjustment potential, without the use of accessory weights.
 
Last edited:
According to the manual, the cartridge weight range is 3 to 8.5 grams. The original headshell is 9.5 grams.

OR 13 - 17 grams combined (according to the service manual)
 
Back
Top Bottom