• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-23

ADKBob

Well-Known Member
I just fixed up a TECHNICS SL-23 TT with an AT3500E (AT11E) with a new original ATS11E stylus just installed. It sounds good at 1.5 g VTF. It was a thrift store find and came that way. Is the AT cartridge a good fit for this TT, or should I try a different cartridge? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
 
Register to hide this ad
I would say it's a fine fit, and you already have it brand new so use it for a while. I would turn up the tracking force just a bit though. Thinking it was specified to track between 2 and 3 grams so I would try it at 2.5 grams.

Best.

Edit: I'm sorry, it was 1.5 to 2.5 grams, so try it at 2.0 grams.
 
Last edited:
I've tried a few LPs at the 1.5 g tracking at it seems very nice and balanced. Would the lower VTF cause more vinyl wear? Why go to 2 g?
 
Possibly it could, I suppose. The main reason is that styli track better with more force on them holding them against the groove. While it may sound fine on some material the time will come when something will be demanding enough that it just wont track/trace properly at the low end of the spectrum. It is fairly universally agreed upon that being in the upper end of the tracking force range is better than being in the lower end. So the mid-point is a very good place to start. Stylus companies usually recommend the mid-point for this reason.
 
Cool. I've only run a few LPs through and perhaps none are too demanding. The funny thing is I just played Firesign Theater Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers that I've had since the early 70s and it has seen way too many parties. It sounded great on this TT. I'll try the 2 g setting and try to find something tough to play. Any recommendations on a demanding LP? Thanks for the help - it's all about the music.
 
Well, It appears that my old ears are not as bad as I thought. I put on the TTR-110 ERA III SHURE Trackability Test record and followed the directions to start with the lowest VTF of the range from the AT11E manual (1.5 g). The only mistracking was found by BAND FIVE - BASS DRUM. There was break up / distortion at Level Five. I am now at 1.75 g VTF and it tracks beautifully through all tests. Listening to side two and the sound is excellent.
 
I just fixed up a TECHNICS SL-23 TT with an AT3500E (AT11E) with a new original ATS11E stylus just installed. It sounds good at 1.5 g VTF. It was a thrift store find and came that way. Is the AT cartridge a good fit for this TT, or should I try a different cartridge? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Sounds like you have it sounding nice, congrats. What type of fixing did it need? (belt, de-oxit, oil?)

Hopefully, I'm about to grab the same TT :thmbsp:
 
I needed a new belt, the old one worked, but had sat so long that there was a "bump" where the belt was around the motor pulley. I could see the strobe "hiccup" when the bump came around. I had to spray the 33 1/3 rpm and 45 rpm potentiometers and then Faderlube them to get the servo nice and stable. I also did the same sprays on the 33 1/3 OFF 45 switch. Without the belt, the platter will spin a long time - didn't pull the spindle shaft for re-lube. An overall cleaning with a natural power clean spray (no ammonia) and soft cotton cloth was needed to get a lot of grime off the dust cover, plinth, etcetera. The stylus cantilever was bent, probably since the arm was not latched and the stylus was bounced around in the thrift store during handing. I bent the cantilever back to a middle position for testing. I bought an original AT stylus after using the straightened one to check out the functionality with an old LP that I use. In spite of the rough handling, the cartridge and table survived and plays nicely.
 
I'm really glad to hear that you have it working and sounding good! I hope it gives you many hours and years of musical enjoyment.
 
Thanks TUBEWADE. I should add that when it was mentioned to try a more demanding LP, I remembered a bunch of thrift store LPs that I had put aside a long time ago for later cleaning and listening. When I dug them out, I had a test record - the TTR-110. At the time I got all of the LPs, I thought nothing of it and the post "rang a bell". So, I found it, cleaned it and read the instructions - just what the doctor ordered! I highly recommend if someone is serious about spinning vinyl, pick one up. This winter I will be going through a bunch of thrift TTs and that LP will be an invaluable tool.
 
It sounds like you are well on the way there ADKBob. :)

I still would get a drop or 2 of oil in the motor if I were you. That series has a tendency to need it, especially after 30 years or so. I have seen a number of similar Technics where the motor seizes up. I use a 10w30 but you can use others you might have on hand.
 
I needed a new belt, the old one worked, but had sat so long that there was a "bump" where the belt was around the motor pulley. I could see the strobe "hiccup" when the bump came around. I had to spray the 33 1/3 rpm and 45 rpm potentiometers and then Faderlube them to get the servo nice and stable. I also did the same sprays on the 33 1/3 OFF 45 switch. Without the belt, the platter will spin a long time - didn't pull the spindle shaft for re-lube. An overall cleaning with a natural power clean spray (no ammonia) and soft cotton cloth was needed to get a lot of grime off the dust cover, plinth, etcetera. The stylus cantilever was bent, probably since the arm was not latched and the stylus was bounced around in the thrift store during handing. I bent the cantilever back to a middle position for testing. I bought an original AT stylus after using the straightened one to check out the functionality with an old LP that I use. In spite of the rough handling, the cartridge and table survived and plays nicely.

Nice work! I have a feeling I'll be doing many of the same things. Happy to hear you're enjoying some nice tunes on it :music:
 
Thank you all for your help and kind encouragement. During the nice summer weather, I pick up a lot of vintage components while thrift shopping and during the winter with the cold and snow I try to refurbish them. By reading threads I have gotten a good idea of what are good pieces worth working on and the materials, tools and techniques to bring them back to life. Every project is a learning experience and keeps the mind sharp and muscles in shape. people here are very helpful. I listen to more music now and spend a lot less time sitting in front of the TV. It's time now to clean some more "thrifty" LPs and crank up the tunes.
 
A quick update on the TT. I put a couple of drops of Tri-Flow on the motor and it's nice and quiet. I've played about 50 LPs after cleaning and the sound is fantastic. A lot of the thrift store albums and my old vinyls sound great after cleaning. Right now I'm listening to an album I picked up for a dime that has a warp of about 1/4 " at the edge and the SL-23 tracks it fine at 1.75 g VTF. I can recommend this deck for anyone looking to refurbish a vintage "spinner"
 
Back
Top Bottom