• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-B2 Tracking Issue

leemelone

Active Member
I just picked up an SL-B2 and I can't get it play a record unless I put a weight on top of the head shell. Without the weight, it just skips across the record. I tried moving the counter balance weight all the way forward and setting the tracking all the way up but it just skips right across the disc. Any ideas?
 
Register to hide this ad
Do you know how to properly set the tracking force, by getting the tonearm to "float" and then set your Zero?

What cartridge do you have installed?

What is the anti-skate set at currently?
 
Do you know how to properly set the tracking force, by getting the tonearm to "float" and then set your Zero?

What cartridge do you have installed?

What is the anti-skate set at currently?

I think I set the tracking force properly. I set the weight to zero and moved the weight forward until it floated. Initially I turned the weight to 2 grams and adjusted the anti skate to 2. When that didn't work, I tried adjust the weight heavier and heavier adjusting the anti skate to the same. Nothing worked until I put the plastic 45 adapter on top of the head shell. The cartridge is a Pickering V15 AT2.
 
I have a feeling the stylus may be worn down.

I was thinking it might be the needle but I've never had a tone arm just completely skate across a record before. It's an older model and I don't want to waste money on a new stylus if there's something mechanically wrong with it.
 
I have a feeling the stylus may be worn down.

Or broken off. Does it sound ok with that weight on top? If it is muffled or distorted it could be a non existent needle. Or the cantilever could be bent or the suspension bagged out and the cartridge itself is riding on the record. Get down low and look at the cartridge on the record.

When you balanced the arm (floating level) the counterweight was not all the way forward already? You could actually turn the weight so that arm does lower to the record?
 
Check the cueing action, make sure it isn't partially engaged.

Right. I was going to mention that. If the arm is just barely touching the cue platform it could act like this. There's a little screw behind the platform that can be turned clockwise to lower the bar
 
Be sure that when the cueing lever is down and the record is playing, there is a bit of space between the tonearm and cueing mechanism.
 
Or broken off. Does it sound ok with that weight on top? If it is muffled or distorted it could be a non existent needle. Or the cantilever could be bent or the suspension bagged out and the cartridge itself is riding on the record. Get down low and look at the cartridge on the record.

When you balanced the arm (floating level) the counterweight was not all the way forward already? You could actually turn the weight so that arm does lower to the record?

The needle barely sticks out past the bottom of the cartridge so I'm assuming it's the source of the problem. It's been a long time since I've had a turntable but it just doesn't look right to me. As far as the counter weight balance, it actually does lower on to the record and it's not hitting the cue lever mechanism. .
 
That's not a bad idea on any unknown turntable acquisition. However do you know what's on it now? Pictures? Replacing the stylus still might be viable.

Here's an example of a cartridge that does look low but is still tracking properly.

Stanton after playing by Buhduh, on Flickr
 

I think I'm going to go with this. I don't want to spend much on one until I'm sure what's going on. I can always upgrade it later.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...461006990&sr=1-2&keywords=turntable+cartridge
 
Back
Top Bottom