• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-BD22 Opinions

kg1898

New Member
Hi All,

I have had an AT LP60 for a while and recently had the needle snap during a move. I was debating trying to buy a new cartridge or just starting with something else (cheap, as I am a starving college musician type and can't afford much).

I found a craigslist post for a $55 SL-BD22 and I was wondering if I could get some feed back on this table, this deal, and the expenses I will have on top of that. For example: I don't have a pre amp; what kind do I need to get and for how much?

I am a learning vinyl guy and I really just want to get back to being able to listen to my records!

Any advice on anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

KG
 
Register to hide this ad
The SL-BD22 was one of the last turntables Technics built before they exited that market. It's an inexpensive but decent belt-drive 'table with a P-mount arm. If it's in good shape, it should be a definite step up from your Audio-Technica AT-LP60. The $55 price seems fair in today's market, though you might ask the seller if he'll take less.

You'll need a phono preamp to gain up and EQ the low-level signal out of the cartridge. The ART DJ Pre II gets a lot of love on this forum and only costs $49. I'd also advise replacing the stylus on any used turntable, just to be certain that you're not tracking your records with a worn-out stylus that could damage them.
 
Also check the condition of the stylus / needle that is currently installed into the SL-BD22. Visually verify that it is straight, then test on a few spare LPs that you wouldn't mind losing. If it looks good and sounds good then you can use it on your good LPs. Otherwise replace it.
 
The BD22 was an inexpensive turntable, but simple and reliable. Depending on condition, $55 might be a bit high...although if it has a decent cart it might be worth it. If not, $40 might be more appropriate.

The ART preamp would be a good investment. If you need a cartridge, and your funds are limited, the AT92E - usually available a bit over $20 - would serve you well until you can afford something better.
 
I have a similar technics. With cartridge, working belt, and good needle, a decent deal. These are actually more decent than their construction might suggest. And the P mount makes them very easy to setup.

If it has problems holding its speed, a squirt of deoxit onto the speed adjust usually does the job. Ask about the belt, if it has never been replaced, you will need a new one, about $8. Replacement is easy.

I would suggest the AT311EP if you have a MC preamp. If MM, the AT92e suggest cart is fine. These two are about the same in sound quality in my experience. If you need a needle on the cartridge, I would suggest not bothering to replace it and just get a new cartridge, unless it is a newer one already.
 
The SL-BD22 was the first turntable I owned. Bought mine new at Best Buy in 1991 or '92, and owned it until a few years ago. It's better than most people will give it credit for, and would be a very good introduction into the world of LPs. I sold mine for $40 and that included a fresh OEM stylus, but the market has picked up considerably since then. $55 is reasonable if the belt is good, dust cover is solid, and the cartridge + stylus are useable.
 
Technics SL-BD22

The SL-BD22 is a nice sounding turntable. It is looks almost identical to the SL-B350 except the B350 has a platter light for viewing the record in low light. The other difference is the color. The B350 is silver and the BD22 is black. My SL-B350 sounds exceptional with a Shure M97LT cartridge installed.
 
Last edited:
It's better than most people will give it credit for, (...)

Actually I think the qualities of this type of Technics slimline radial-trackers in belt-drive version rather already are pretty well respected nowadays, at least among the experienced folks. Granted, these thingies are pretty lightweight and just "plastic" enclosed. However, the design as such is pretty decent (including a motor control that actually deserves its name), the manufacturing quality always used to be pretty good, and plastic doesn't always have to mean plastic-craptastic anyway...

And I'd guess I'm not the only one who is still somewhat sad, that the SL-BD20 was discontinued just a couple of years ago, 'cause in my opinion with it went the last decent entry-level table with consistently high manufacturing quality below 200 bucks. Quite a pity, because I really have a hard time recommending the next best alternatives (be it entry-level Pro-Jects, the Denon DP-300F, various Hanpin-made SL12x0Mky-wannabes(bies? bees? uhhhhm... ;)) like the Audio Technica AT-PL120/LP120, or practically any Dual CS4xx models and their Thorens siblings...), as practically any of these would be more expensive and despite that more so-so in build quality. Or in other words: The SL-BD20 was pretty much fool-proof , whereas many of the remaining entry-level solutions nowadays rather already require an experienced turntable user, in order to judge, whether the delivered exemplars are ok, or whether a particular exemplar may just need to be readjusted or better be swapped for a more well made unit...

To me that seems rather ridiculous, as we had a much better situation back in the day: with less confusing marketing blah; better, less subjective and more realistic reviews; less voodoo preachers and voodoo accessory dealers; and foremost pretty reliable build quality, at least if one made sure to only buy original/OEM brand quality. Whereas nowadays the situation in the entry-level segment would rather have to be described as "the one-eyed leading the blind" - and while that of course also has very much to do with vinyl record playback being a niche market today, it nevertheless appears rather sad, when "back in the day" isn't even 25 years ago... How could so much knowledge and manufacturing experience/knowledge get lost just from one generation to the next?

But before I totally disgress...

....greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Back
Top Bottom