• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-D3 vs Technics SL-1810

Uncle Bambi

Funky Tut
I have been happily spinning my LP's on a vintage SL-D3 for years, having worked up the chain from a SL-D1 (bought new in 1979) and a SL-D2. I love the thing - it is a solid, reliable performer and sound great to me.

Recently it rained a couple of turntables around here, and I find myself in possession of another SL-D2 and also a SL-1810. The SL-D2 will be cleaned up and moved along, but the SL-1810 as a nice look about it, and I am starting to wonder if it is a candidate to replace my beloved SL-D3.

I looked them up on the vintage Technics website and they are about the same vintage, and the MSRP is only $30 or apart... $170 for the SL-D3 vs $200 for the 1810. On paper specs seem about the same, too.

It needs a small bit of work - it is missing one hinge and needs a good cleaning, but it seems fully functional and complete.

So - what say the cognoscenti? Upgrade to the SL-1810, or stand pat on the SL-D3?
 
Register to hide this ad
A-B them both and see if you like the sound of one better than the other. Or keep both and use different sounding cartridges on each. Maybe a MC on one and a MM on the other?
 
Well the MSRP may be close but we're talking full automatic vs. manual. According to that site, the SL-D1 was MSRP $125. Now at that time I think a year or two difference in release date equated to a lot of development, considering the level of competition in the marketplace. So the 1977 release date for the 1800 vs. 1979 release date for the SL-D3 is 'miles' apart. However, there's also a lot more plastic in the SL-D# series ... including the plinth. It also lacks the suspension of the SL-1800. And let's not forget those wonderful dustcover hinge tabs! Which I think all reflects both the target audience for the product and building the turntable to a price-point.

It's perhaps interesting to note the SL-Q2 / Q3 (I don't think there was a Q1) which was the same time period as the D-series, had quartz lock and a cast aluminum plinth for a fair bit more ... $200 for a Q2 and $240 for a Q3 ... but the Mark 2 versions of the SL-1600,1700,1800, which were sold at the same time were again a big step up ($300 for a SL-1800, to $400 for a SL-1600), which reflected incorporating the 'guts' of the SL-1200 Mk2 into a more 'consumer friendly' package. We could also have a re-distribution of price-points as the market changed and there were, of course, other models in the lineup too during that time period.
 
I've replaced all my plastic fantastic technics TTs with cast aluminum plinth models. Definitely worth the upgrade. So enamored with the SL-1x00 series, I've sold or am in the process of selling all my plastic TTs
 
Back
Top Bottom