• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL D303 or SL-220 - Which should I grab? Or should I grab both?

1Toolfan

Active Member
I have the opportunity to grab the SL-D303 for $100 or the SL-220 for $75....

The D303 has a decent dust cover, needs a sytlist.
The SL-220 has a broken hinge, probably will need a new stylist.

Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
The D303 is a notably better table. Technics is known for their direct drive tables; the SL-220 is belt drive.

You will need to know the cartridge (maker and model) to determine your stylus options. Worst case, you can get whole new cartridge and stylus, of good quality, for short $$.
 
Thanks Spark.
I use needle/cartridge/stylus synonymsly, so I grabbed it. Currently has pickering cart, looks like stylist is gone, so I will replace.
 
Stylus. :)

Needle and stylus are synonymous.

Cartridge is a different thing. It is the part that converts stylus motion to voltage.
 
This pickering is in the TT currently. Before I discard it, I just want to make sure it's nothing "special".
 

Attachments

  • 20241031_193623.jpg
    20241031_193623.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 12
The cartridge is quite good - top of the Pickering line - but that stylus is not original. A pretty good elliptical replacement stylus is $80 or so. Better yet is the line contact version, at $120.

Test the cartridge before investing in a new stylus for it. Cartridges themselves rarely go bad.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom