• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-M3 linear tracker

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
Not that I need another table, so I'm ignoring this beautiful beast of a linear tracker up for sale here in Boston (craigs).

However, to rub salt in my wounds-

Anyone ever hear an SL-M3?

I am still impressed with the Mitsu LT-30 linear I heard, and can only think this table is fantastic.

Anyone own one or hard one?
 
Register to hide this ad
That's a beaut, although a P-mount. One NOS just went for $560 + shipping on the Bay. If the price is right some AKer should jump on it. Went for $450 new.
 
Hello, I bought one off fleabay last Dec. and have it set up at my office. My first linear tracker. Came with a Shure cartridge and I bought the JICO SAS stylus. Had to get the cueing fixed. It dropped like a rock. And a new belt.

At any rate, it sounds great and looks great. I like the automatic feature since I have it at my office, I don't have to jump up to shut it down. I think this was the top of the line, though the ST-15 cost more knew.

I paid $350.00 and do not regret it. I have plenty of other turntables, mostly belt drives. I must say that DD sounds good.

Go for it!
 
I picked one up earlier this summer, and it's a great table. A guy about 2 hours from me is an expert on the Mitsu LT-30, and i've had my eye out for one but the SL-M3 popped up on CL and i couldn't resist since i've got a small collection of P-mount cartridges. it even came with a NOS Shure V-15LT :banana: :thmbsp::banana::thmbsp::D
 
Probably the best 'P'-mount LT ever made. Don't sell the 'P'mount carts short, there are plenty of good choices out there.
 
Maybe a noob question, but I gotta ask. The SL-M3 looks excellent, no questions asked. But from a purely stats point of view, -82dB rumble and slightly lower wow & flutter specs, I'd say you probably couldn't tell the difference between a 1200 and this. -78dB rumble and 0.025% wow. Is it the arm that makes this table so good?
 
I am loving my mitsubishi LT-640 LT turntable ( similar to the lt-30 except its a vertical unit) so easy to use and sounds real good, i have a slight platter rumble i can hear between songs that i assume is from the bearings, i need to pull some threads on lubing this and find the best lube to use.
 
I bought one for $600 BIN on eBay a year-and-a-half ago. I bought it from Turntable Factory (a respected repair shop) and it came with the original packaging and a brand-new Grado Silver p-mount cartridge, which was about $200 of the price. It's still my daily driver in my bedroom system. I'm currently running the newest addition to my p-mount cartridge collection, an Empire 195RT with a S485 stylus, and cannot complain, as long as I don't have to move it. The thing is large.

Here's the thread from when I bought it, with photos: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199170
 
Maybe a noob question, but I gotta ask. The SL-M3 looks excellent, no questions asked. But from a purely stats point of view, -82dB rumble and slightly lower wow & flutter specs, I'd say you probably couldn't tell the difference between a 1200 and this. -78dB rumble and 0.025% wow. Is it the arm that makes this table so good?

The arm certainly helps. It's a titanium nitride tube. Very dense material, similar to the material used for indexable cutting tool inserts used by CNC machining centers.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom