• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-Q2 and SL-5300

Water

Well-Known Member
A local craigslister is selling these two Technics turntables (I've purchased other equipment from the same seller before). I already have a Technics SL-D2 which I think is great and its my first and only TT. I'd like to grab a second TT, would you grab either of these? He wants $50 for the Q2 and $80 for the 5300. I'm tempted to pickup the Q2 for my bedroom. But would I be much better off with the 5300? Also does anyone know if I could swap head-shells between my current D2 and either of these (or both)?
 
Register to hide this ad
SL-Q2 is noticeably better built than the SL-D2. Yes, the headshells are swappable on these.
Don't know anything about an SL-5300, sorry.

SLQ2DDTT.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'm liking the Q2. If he still has it this weekend I might go check it them both out. If they look in good condition I might pick one of these up. Just not sure the SL-5300 is worth an extra $30 over the Q2. The specs look pretty similar other then the 5300 being fully auto which I'm not sure that I like.

Or should I wait for the spring (garage sales, spring cleaning, etc.) and hopefully find something better?
 
Last edited:
Agreed the Q2 is a nice upgrade from the D2. Heavier, quartz lock and perhaps a better arm. $50 is a good price, a great price if it is very clean. You could wait for a better deal but you have to wonder how much better can it be and how long do you want to wait?
 
well, the SL-5300 did retail more over the Q2. Both have quartz but the 5300 is fully automatic with repeat while the Q2 is semi-auto. Depends on how much you want to pay. I would probably go with the SL-5300 if the price is negotiable.
 
I know you guys say it is heavier, but according to vinylengine, they both weigh in at 6.9kg. I guess it could be wrong though. Anyway, not that it matters as I would like to have a second TT anyway. The SL-5300 though is apparently 7.1kg.
 
I know you guys say it is heavier, but according to vinylengine, they both weigh in at 6.9kg. I guess it could be wrong though. Anyway, not that it matters as I would like to have a second TT anyway. The SL-5300 though is apparently 7.1kg.

I said that the SL-Q2 is better built than the SL-D2. One of each here; the latter is mostly plastic; the former, mostly metal.
 
In reality they are pretty similar.
IIRC The sl-5x00 series were the quartz locked consumer line before the sl-q series replaced them. I happen to have a sl-q3( kinda a combo of both models being that it's a q series and full auto like the 5300) that I happen to like quite a bit and would actually prefer a q2 as I don't care for full auto. Besides it's just more that could go wrong anyway.

I say for the price get the Q2, I would.
As to being able to swap head shells with the D2 there should be no problem and it may not even have to be reset for the q2's arm.
 
JarredCrowe, that was my thoughts exactly, as I don't like full auto. I like using my D2 manually. If there's not much difference between an SL-5300 and a SL-Q2 I'd certainly buy the Q2. Only way I'd grab the 5300 is if it would some how sound better then the Q2.
 
JarredCrowe, that was my thoughts exactly, as I don't like full auto. I like using my D2 manually. If there's not much difference between an SL-5300 and a SL-Q2 I'd certainly buy the Q2. Only way I'd grab the 5300 is if it would some how sound better then the Q2.

i have both of these
but i would go with the 5300
i think it's a better built machine and sounds better than the
Q2
 
I ended up picking up the Q2, and it does seem much nicer then my D2. It came with an Ortofon FF10XE cartridge. Anyone know about this cartridge? Doesn't seem to be that well known. I also purchased a Pioneer SX-750. The veneer is missing on the front corners and the stereo light is out. Other then that it seems too work good. $60 for the SX-750. Not sure if thats a good deal, but it seems like a big step up over my Sony STR-AV460 I was using before.
 
I am going to miss my sx-750. It was mechanically pretty clean and cosmetically could be made pristine w/ a little money and an evenings work. The 5300 turntable was a lot heavier than the Q2 and w/ an Empire 2000 E/111 cartridge the gentleman that bought was very happy w/ it. I just have to many "toys". I will be selling 2 Dual 1237 turntables next. My keeper are a 1229 and a Sony PS-X600. My list of toys include:

JBL Century L100
JBL L100T
JBL Decade 36
JBL Decade 26
INFINITE SLOPE
AR 3A
AR 4X
Boston micro surround

SHERWOOD S-110CP
KENWOOD KR8010
Pioneer VSX 9500X
Sony DB840
Pioneer A-88X
 
Glad to hear someone bought the 5300 too. I'm really enjoying the Q2, listening to it right now. The whole setup sounds really good.
 
Either way you went with it I knew you'd be satisfied. :)
The d2 is a fine table , but the q2 really is a step up the line in the same family at the same time. I'm glad the 5300 found a home too.

Also good work on the sx-750. I had a sx650 until recently and it was a fine unit, I'm sure the 750 is as well. I don't know if i'd consider it a killer price but if it's clean than it's certainly fair. For the price of both however I'd say that's an awesome little combo, good work.
 
Yeah, I offered him $50 but he wouldn't let it go as he was originally looking for $75. Like you said $60 seems fair, and it cleaned up pretty nicely.
 
Back
Top Bottom