• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL7 cart mount screw?

ClayTune

Well-Known Member
Hey guys

I misplaced the cartridge mounting screw for my technics SL7 turntable.

I'm wondering if any of ya'll know the specific thread size? In other words the technical code for that screw?

I tried taking the one off my technics SL-J2 but they are NOT interchangeable and it did NOT go in more than quarter of the way.

Thanks guys.
 
Register to hide this ad
Does the nut come out? If so maybe you can use both bolt and nut from the J2.
 
Does the nut come out? If so maybe you can use both bolt and nut from the J2.
I tried that but they are not interchangeable. I need the specific screw number for the Cartridge mount screw that secure the cartridge in place. Otherwise I am playing records without the screw in place. Which sound great still but Something tells me I need that mounting screw.
 
Well if it wobbled around, yes it could I suppose. But if you can't wiggle it easily it should be perfectly ok. You already said it sounds fine.
 
It should be a standard metric screw/nut size. Lacking the screw might lighten up the effective mass of the arm leading to mis-tracking, but who knows.
 
It should be a standard metric screw/nut size. .

No it isn't. I tried. The mounting screw from the SL-J2 has a different threading than the one for the SL7.

In fact other's on this forum have reported that in the past but I ignored them. Found out the hard way it does not fit. It goes in a quarter of the way and refuses to go in any more. It should not require a ton of force to screw these in.

Goes in easily on the SL-J2.

I would like a part number at least.
 
This is the part number from the service manual but that won't do you much good as it only means something to Technics.

Screenshot_20230530-135737~3.png
 
From the SM, tonearm section. The numbers beside the earlier screenshot are hard to read but I can just make out 19.

Their doesn't appear to be a nut listed so the opposite side of the end of the tonearm must be threaded. This could explain why the other nut won't work. Machine threads often don't match what is used in threaded holes in parts. Perhaps more coarse?

Screenshot_20230531-155851.png
 
There's a nut fixed inside the...er...headshell that the tip of the screw is automatically threaded into. Some NOS cartridge/1/2" adapter combos come with screws that can be used in that application.
 
Back
Top Bottom