• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics Speakers - Any Models Worth Having?

Dr. Music

Super Member
I've been coming across these with a fair amount of frequency of late. Some look like particleboard junk but a few different towers have had a decent look to them, seemed to be built well with some nice drivers under the hood. I've always been hesitant to buy any, even for cheap, as I have always felt the one area where Technics brand stuff was really shoddy was their speaker builds. Are there any model numbers you folks have a liking for?
 
Register to hide this ad
The 7070's I once had were very nice sounding! Gota watch out for those blown tweeter in them! All those early speakers and electronics from Technics are well worth owning!
DC
 
I heard a pair of SB-6000s two weeks ago running off of about $20,000 of front end gear. They sounded waaaaaay better than I expected, and totally blew away the Canton floorstanders we put in that system after them. Everybody at the shop I was at seemed really impressed by how engaging the sound was. The bass was a bit (and I mean 'bit', not a lot) sloppy but what I was really surprised about was how well the midrange sounded with just a tweeter and that big woofer. They weren't perfect, but they sounded pretty darn good.
 
P0001069.JPG
 
I use SB-T40's as rear speakers. I had them up front before I went out of my mind with RSL Nevada's AND ESS Daytonas

sbt40or4.jpg
 
Quite a few nice Technics speakers out there. I am looking for a pair of SB-RX50's (at a reasonable price). One day...
 
What surprises me is how many there are out there with the Technics badge - gotta wonder if they were built in house or by another company, cos those are some beauts, dnewma04!!! Since I've started actively looking for speakers in all the usual thrifts I've seen several models that I would have never guessed came from Technics :)
 
I never thought I'd have a pair of technics speakers in any system I own. Then I came across a pair of sb7000a's a few weeks ago. These guys are surprisingly well made, nice sounding speakers; technics badge and all. Yessir there is such a thing as technics speakers worth having.
 
Technics worth having

Technics sb-g800 or sb-g900
 

Attachments

  • TECHNICS SB-A53.jpg
    TECHNICS SB-A53.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
The pic posted in nopayne's first post isn't a SB-G800 or G900, it's the SB-A53 mentioned in post 16.

The SB-G800 is pictured below:

73_1245884260.jpg


And the SB-G900, unsurprisingly adding more drivers....

technics_sbg900.jpg


I don't think any of these three are going to garner any critical acclaim, however.
 
Back
Top Bottom