• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SU-8080 driver transistors

rokoc007

New Member
Hello guys,

I would like to ask you about 2sc1913/2sa913. My amp has issue on the left channel, driver transistor 2sc1913 has open B-E junction. It is still playing but with distortion on that channel due to zero bias voltage.. So I have to change them, I don't want to buy some 2sa1913 ebay fakes..

I did some research here and found some possible replacement :

2SC3298/2SA1306
2SC5171/2SA1930
2SC2238/2SA968
2SC4793/2SA1837

SU-8080 has 2SD427/2SB557 high power output transistors. I decided that I will use 2SC5171/2SA1930, they are faster (200mhz) but then I check SOA and I am not sure..

Do you have some experience with similar problem ?

Thanks a lot

Robert
 
Register to hide this ad
thanks a lot JoseHH, so I will use 2sa1837/2sc4793. Not sure if they will be original, I mean from our local shop, but I hope that it will be good.
 
Hello,
The ones i linked are genuine. Were are you located?. You can post photos of what you can get so we can tell if they are genuine parts or not.
 
okay, thanks for the tips. I post the photos of transistors when they arrive. If they will be suspicious I will order them from profusionplc.com. Also found leaked caps, two of them, so maybe is good time for recap it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20220710_224640.jpg
    IMG_20220710_224640.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 46
OK. Please consider starting the recaping step only after you have replaced the transistors and once the amplifier is working again. Otherwise you may run into additional issues. Once you fixed the issue, then you can recap board by board. Also have a dim bulb tester at hand. You will need it to power-up the unit after you have replaced the transistors. It will prevent major damage in case that something else is shorted.
Check the emitter resistors (between the emitters of the power output transistors) and also check all the resistors that are directly connected to the transistors that tested bad. Some resistors may have gone open when these transistros failed. Do you have a service manual?. If not, try to get one from HiFi engine. It is free.
 
Last edited:
driver transistors arrived today, so I make some pictures. It is from verified supplier, so I hope that's not be a fakes..
 

Attachments

  • DSC00957.JPG
    DSC00957.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00959.JPG
    DSC00959.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC00966.JPG
    DSC00966.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 37
The 2SA1837 looks genuine.
The 2SC4793 is suspicious. It may be a knock-off. For comparison, later today I can PM you a photo of the ones I have which I know are genuine.
In the picture I can not see if the numbers are split like the "8" in the 2SA1837. Look at the 9, and compare it carefully with the font of the 2SA1837. Also compare the number 7 among the parts.
 
the font is the same I think. It is quite hard to make detailed photo :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20220714_183124.jpg
    IMG_20220714_183124.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220714_183127.jpg
    IMG_20220714_183127.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 31
Iooking at the pictures that you posted carefully and comparing with the parts I have I believe that both the 2SA1837 as well as the 2SC4793 that you bought are genuine. I sent you a PM with the pictures of the ones I have which I know that are made by toshiba.
Did you check the output transistors?.
 
Hi Jose, thank you for confirmation, yes I checked them, all good. Actually, I put them there and everything works well. Now I am able to set bias voltage to 15mV. I did also some testing, at first I changed transistors on that broken channel, then listen music to compare if there is some differences between channels, but I didn't hear any, so I think that these transistors were good choice.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20220714_173057.jpg
    IMG_20220714_173057.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220714_154532_edit_138264848707025.jpg
    IMG_20220714_154532_edit_138264848707025.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 42
Hello guys, yes, me too :) I did recap with measurement of all capacitors. They were not bad at all, but I found some bad on the phono stage. Also 1000uF on the amp board were not in ideal condition. Also cleaned that flap switches and output relay :) Now they work as it should works :) But it isn't so easy to take them out and clean..
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20220721_140248.jpg
    IMG_20220721_140248.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20220720_211241.jpg
    IMG_20220720_211241.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20220721_140253.jpg
    IMG_20220721_140253.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom