• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SU-8080 in the house !!

I put my SU-8080 in the main system last night. Computer CD player => Amp => 3Pi horns.
It wasn’t as detailed as I would expect from an amp with no caps in the signal path. I tried with tone controls in & out. Not much difference.
I have owned this for only a few months & haven’t done much critical listening yet. I DID perform the voltage & bias procedures & Deoxited the switches. Maybe I’ll give them another bath.

My Yamaha M2/C2a sound more detailed to me (on L1290’s). I’ll try with those speakers & different source.

Any suggestions on what I can do? With no caps in the signal path, what good would a recap do? This thing should be crystal clear.
OTOH, some reviews claim a “warm” sound. Maybe that’s what I’m hearing.
 
Last edited:
Tried the L1290’s and...all’s well. Definitely a synergy thing cause the horns sound very detailed & organic with tubes. Just not with the Technics.

I still plan to replace filter caps at least.
 
I recapped of the SU-8080 yesterday. Took about 5 hours (didn't do the phono section since I don't listen to vinyl at the moment).
I didn't think it would make a difference because there's no caps in the signal path, but it was night and day.
The performance was just "meh" when I got it. After the recap, MUCH more clarity and huge soundstage. Instruments are popping out of thin air all over the place!

index.php

index.php

index.php
 
Back
Top Bottom