• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Teledyne speakers

mkhmkh

New Member
Hello.

Thinking of adding a set of AR teledyne speakers to my collection.

The seller does not know the model number. Could some please identify these speakers and advise on their sound quality. Will the have that AR signature sound you guys are talking about and how would they compare to say EPI or Dynaco a25's. Thanks in advance
 

Attachments

  • AR2.jpg
    AR2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 66
  • AR3.jpg
    AR3.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 96
Register to hide this ad
Last week I picked up a pair of AR 94as for $25. They sounded quite good but after I compaired them to my AR-2a, Large Advents and KLH 17s I sold them last night for $60.
That's not to say they wouldn't do the job. I actually liked them better than my JBL
L26s. I'm just partial to a certain sound.
 
The woofer/ mid end of the AR's always seemed pretty decent to me. I just did not have much amoire for their cone tweeters. Replace those cone tweeters with nice fabric 1" dome types, of near the same impedance, then you start the makings of a much improved producr!

I had the AR 93's & 92's- replaced those tweeters with dome types and made some very nice sounding speakers. KFA888 did this as well and will basicly tell you the same thing! The best tweeter I used was the Morel MDT30 model-very smooth sounding, handled power well- was a bit pricey though! I heard one of the Dayton 1" domes were good as well.
DC
 
I always quite liked the AR-18 family and felt then (and still feel) that the AR cone tweeters were perfectly decent HF drivers.
 
AR Marketing under Teledyne

I'm a real fan of AR products (and none of mine have cone tweeters), but I must say I just shake my head when I look at the ad below. As I count them, AR had 4 two-ways and 3 three-ways.

This is an example of a marketing driven organization, where the marketing folks want to have a product for everyone.

Well ... that just causes incredible confusion for the customers. How in heavens name do you go about deciding which model is for you?

I think marketing is sometimes their own worst enemy.



Regards,
Jerry
 

Attachments

  • page15-3_large.jpg
    page15-3_large.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 57
Those all had the AR family sound; the choice gave 'em products at a wide range of price points. As I recall, the AR-18 was $65 a pop ca. 1977; it was absolutely the best sounding hifi speaker you could buy for the $ (IMNSHO) at the time.
 
Those all had the AR family sound; the choice gave 'em products at a wide range of price points. As I recall, the AR-18 was $65 a pop ca. 1977; it was absolutely the best sounding hifi speaker you could buy for the $ (IMNSHO) at the time.

I well understand the marketing desire to have a product at every "price point", but there is a downside to that as well.

mrh, I neglected to mention that the confusion of having sooo many models impacts the retailers ... as well.

At that time, few retailers could exist with just a single brand of loudspeaker, so most carried multiple brands (AR, Advent, KLH, Dynaco, etc.).

As for the AR-18, I can't remember, but weren't the 10" Dynaco two-ways still pretty popular at that time? I know I bought a set in 73, but can't remember if they were still selling strong by 77.

PS: Now that I think about it the "new kid" at that time would be the Advent Loudspeaker introduced in 1975.

Regards,
Jerry
 
No Dynaco dealers in MD at that time. I bought a used pair of A-25s for my father in 1979 at Gramophone in Baltimore for $75.
The AR dealer in B-more at that time (a somewhat snooty joint called The Discerning Ear) also sold ads, DCM, and Magnepan speakers.
 
No Dynaco dealers in MD at that time. I bought a used pair of A-25s for my father in 1979 at Gramophone in Baltimore for $75.
The AR dealer in B-more at that time (a somewhat snooty joint called The Discerning Ear) also sold ads, DCM, and Magnepan speakers.

My memory isn't very good about that time. One reference I was able to find online was this review of the Advent Loudspeaker dated January 1976:

Advent Review by Stereophile

In this article they claim they had just published a review of the A-25's three issues back, which would put that late 1975. Interesting article, nevertheless.

Regards,
Jerry
 
Back
Top Bottom