• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tell me about Mission 707

Yankee Dog

Well-Known Member
Have a chance (if still there) to pick up a pair of mission 707's. Looks like they have been well used but refoamed.

$25 for the pair.

I am kind of partial to the east coast sound, and they would be used in place of some Boston Acoustics a-60's (if I like the sound).

Any thoughts on the missions? Thanks, YD
 
Register to hide this ad
My thoughts? $25 is a steal.

I prefer the Mission sound to Boston Acoustics. I think you have very little to lose!
 
Mission were a bit of an anomaly. Most UK speakers of the day were going for a very neutral sound and were willing to trade dynamics for accurate frequency response. Mission put more emphasis on dynamic range and produced a speaker that was livelier and more upfront. You could say the 707 was a bit more colored in the voice but we sold tons of them and their successors, models such as the 762. People found them more neutral and accurate than some US speakers like JBL (talking the mid to low price consumer lines here) and more fun than the other UK speakers like Kef or Celestion.

It was a best seller for good reason at around $500, for $25: GO!
 
A2, why? And I have more speakers than I know what to do with right now...

Heck of a coincidence. I passed through Brighton today. The local SA has a set for $25. They look well used, but appear to have had a recent re-foam. I had one in my hand but then I started having visions of my wife griping about another set of speakers...
 
Heck of a coincidence. I passed through Brighton today. The local SA has a set for $25. They look well used, but appear to have had a recent re-foam. I had one in my hand but then I started having visions of my wife griping about another set of speakers...


Been there, done that! Just had to sell a pair, and I am at the point where I have to hide them...
 
Mission were a bit of an anomaly. Most UK speakers of the day were going for a very neutral sound and were willing to trade dynamics for accurate frequency response. Mission put more emphasis on dynamic range and produced a speaker that was livelier and more upfront. You could say the 707 was a bit more colored in the voice but we sold tons of them and their successors, models such as the 762. People found them more neutral and accurate than some US speakers like JBL (talking the mid to low price consumer lines here) and more fun than the other UK speakers like Kef or Celestion.

It was a best seller for good reason at around $500, for $25: GO!

I picked them up after work today. I was not going to buy them, but they kept calling out to me. Especially for 19.00 (sorry I was originally wrong on the price).

Based on what I am hearing the above description by Raynald is an accurate one. After I opened em up to look around, and checked that they worked, I popped in a set of new 4.7uf caps and gave em a go.

Sound is as described above, and so far I am liking them. I did not want to like them, but hey, you never know till you try...

The refoam is kind of sloppy, but no voice coil rub, and they cleaned up pretty well.

Not sure if I will use them stand alone with one of my smaller receivers, or with another set of speakers, right now I am running them a and b on my marantz 2275 with the Polk Audio Monitor 10's.

I will give them a try with my tube gear and a few other receivers when I get bored. Thanks for the info. YD
 
Back
Top Bottom