MattJH
New Member
There's virtually no information about this compact deck out there other than the specs and a handful of passing mentions. I'm figuring this is either because it's really rare or really bad. I'd never even heard of it until recently and I'd love to hear your personal experiences. All I really know is that it was manufactured between 1999-2002 as an optional component of the Compact Music System 5 (CMS-5), and that it's supposedly the only Nakamichi deck with Dolby HX Pro. Is that so?
As far as the base CMS-5 system, it came with an RE-5 receiver, CD-5 CD player, SP-5 speakers, and a CMS-5 remote. The components had a small footprint at just under 8 inches in width. The DR-5 cassette deck was optional, as was the MD-5 minidisc recorder. Below are some photos of all of the CMS-5 components, along with a shot of how the cassette drawer looks while ejected. These were also manufactured in silver, just like the rest of the DR line throughout the 90s.
I have a DR-3 that I love, but I want a second deck to dub/make recordings. I'm aware that these late Naks had a less desirable playback sound than the older units, but I'm wondering if the DR-5 would make for a good, small recording unit to pair with my DR-3.
As far as the base CMS-5 system, it came with an RE-5 receiver, CD-5 CD player, SP-5 speakers, and a CMS-5 remote. The components had a small footprint at just under 8 inches in width. The DR-5 cassette deck was optional, as was the MD-5 minidisc recorder. Below are some photos of all of the CMS-5 components, along with a shot of how the cassette drawer looks while ejected. These were also manufactured in silver, just like the rest of the DR line throughout the 90s.
I have a DR-3 that I love, but I want a second deck to dub/make recordings. I'm aware that these late Naks had a less desirable playback sound than the older units, but I'm wondering if the DR-5 would make for a good, small recording unit to pair with my DR-3.