• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tell me what I am hearing - Altec vs Monitor Audio

ScooterMcTav

I know less than I think
...so I pick up a lot of vintage stereo equipment from a guy via local classifieds. My main item I wanted in the lot was a Thorens TD-166, but it also came with a Kenwood KR-6400 and a set of refoamed and potentiometer-repaired set of Altec Lansing Model 5.

Had a good listen to them on my known receiver (Sony STR-5800) and found the Altecs to be very lively and engaging. Bass was solid and full, and the mids were slightly scooped, not normally an issue for my listening preferences. On classic rock, country, and "quieter" music, they performed ably, though some instrument tone (piano especially) had a bit of a tipped-up quality to it. It was almost a little over-resonant.

As recommended by Altec, I turned the potentiometer to "max" and ended up dialing it down about 2/3rds for the treble setting.

This is the first set of speakers I've had with paper cone tweeters in a long time, and I found them surprisingly good. Certainly not as detailed or crisp as some of my modern speakers, but extension was certainly adequate, if a tiny bit splashy at times.

However, when I introduced them to some modern recordings, all hell broke loose. They immediately struggled with the upper mid bass, and got very congested. The STR-5800 has a damping factor of 40, so I wonder if loud volume modern rock was just a little too much to keep the woofers from getting a bit flabby sounding.

So for reference, I reattached my regular speakers in this setup, a set of Monitor Audio Silver 6. They certainly did not have the bass slam of the Altecs, but there was more sparkle up top. However, I hate to admit this, they sounded a little bit, well, dull compared to the Altecs. And for me this is odd, as I have found the MAs to be one of the more lively modern speakers I own - in fact, I prize them for their top-end dynamics and crispness without being tipped up in the treble.

Question is, what is it I am hearing in the Altecs that I am not hearing in the MAs? I can hear what's in the MAs and not in the Altecs, but not vice-versa.
 
Register to hide this ad
...so I pick up a lot of vintage stereo equipment from a guy via local classifieds. My main item I wanted in the lot was a Thorens TD-166, but it also came with a Kenwood KR-6400 and a set of refoamed and potentiometer-repaired set of Altec Lansing Model 5.

Had a good listen to them on my known receiver (Sony STR-5800) and found the Altecs to be very lively and engaging. Bass was solid and full, and the mids were slightly scooped, not normally an issue for my listening preferences. On classic rock, country, and "quieter" music, they performed ably, though some instrument tone (piano especially) had a bit of a tipped-up quality to it. It was almost a little over-resonant.

As recommended by Altec, I turned the potentiometer to "max" and ended up dialing it down about 2/3rds for the treble setting.

This is the first set of speakers I've had with paper cone tweeters in a long time, and I found them surprisingly good. Certainly not as detailed or crisp as some of my modern speakers, but extension was certainly adequate, if a tiny bit splashy at times.

However, when I introduced them to some modern recordings, all hell broke loose. They immediately struggled with the upper mid bass, and got very congested. The STR-5800 has a damping factor of 40, so I wonder if loud volume modern rock was just a little too much to keep the woofers from getting a bit flabby sounding.

So for reference, I reattached my regular speakers in this setup, a set of Monitor Audio Silver 6. They certainly did not have the bass slam of the Altecs, but there was more sparkle up top. However, I hate to admit this, they sounded a little bit, well, dull compared to the Altecs. And for me this is odd, as I have found the MAs to be one of the more lively modern speakers I own - in fact, I prize them for their top-end dynamics and crispness without being tipped up in the treble.

Question is, what is it I am hearing in the Altecs that I am not hearing in the MAs? I can hear what's in the MAs and not in the Altecs, but not vice-versa.
How do they sound when all four of them are playing...?
 
My first thought was maybe you didn't turn the pot down enough, but I give you more credit than that. Could be the Altec's FR has a peak, or the Silver 6 has a notch, and in either case it may be more a function of room and placement rather than the speakers themselves. I feel spoiled with the S6, myself. But when I go back to the bedroom to listen I also feel the same about my Klipsch Forte.
 
Question is, what is it I am hearing in the Altecs that I am not hearing in the MAs?

Hook up an Altec to one channel and a Monitor Audio to the other. Set mode to mono and balance for (approx.) equal output at a comfortable listening level. Then play some music, qualify the distorted center image, and you should have your answer.
 
Question is, what is it I am hearing in the Altecs that I am not hearing in the MAs? I can hear what's in the MAs and not in the Altecs, but not vice-versa.

Different is almost always exciting, for a while at least. But different does not equal better.
In my experience, long term listening (say a week or so) will reveal any annoying flaws.

This does *not* mean you won't end up preferring the Altecs. Just that you need more time to decide.
 
Last edited:
When I sold the stuff for a living, I used to demo the speakers I wanted to sell first. Once the customer was accustomed to the sound they were hearing, I'd switch to candidate #2. I would then point out things that were noticable about pair #1 and how that subduedness or emphasis clearly indicated pair #1 was preferable to pair #2.

Maybe you succumbed to the same effect in of getting aclimated to the Altecs before hearing the Monitor Audio?
 
Different is almost always exciting, for a while at least. But different does not equal better.
In my experience, long term listening (say a week or so) will reveal any annoying flaws.

This does *not* mean you won't end up preferring the Altecs. Just that you need more time to decide.

Agree 100% with long-term listening for judging speakers. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom