• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Test and Alignment tapes for Teac reel to reel

Satcom123

Super Member
Hello, I thought I should start a new thread about this. I searched the forum for threads on this topic but found none. I have many reel to reel decks. Teac A4010, Teac A-3440, Two 1000X. I got them cheap from ebay and have repaired them. Now I am in the alignment stage. I have the test equipment such as "O" scope, signal generator, VTVM and such. I have been out on the internet looking for a calibrated test tape for them. All I seem to find are the MRL tapes which are very, very expensive. Does anyone have any sources to purchase a calibration tape? Swap or anything like that? Has anyone ever performed these alignments using such tapes?
 
Register to hide this ad
..... Has anyone ever performed these alignments using such tapes?

Yep - i think every tech is (was) used to re-align tapes using the tapes - as a former tech, so am i, and still from time to time do realign repaired decks.

A Complete set of test tapes would cause severe damage to anyone's wallet - they are not cheap, and they are beginning to get very hard to get.

For TEAC's *YTT-2003 Speed test, and YTT 1003 azimut & level , and YTT 1002 level (EQ adjust)

those 3 tapes alone did cost more than $450 long time ago.

Sony had a set of tapes too - pretty similar to TEAC's

If i remember correct someone here on AK had a full track deck, and managed to get it so well aligned that it was possible to make test tapes, i can't remember who it was (someone else might)

A full tracker can create perfect azimut tapes, and if aligned up to specs, also a tape to check/re-adjust EQ and levels in a deck.

have you seen this page : http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/index.html?JRF_mainframe=/JRF_calalign.html
 
Tone Generator - Good For Alignment?

Satcom123 - I purchased a Teac Tone Generator, still in the box, although I honestly don't know much about how to use it. I have restored a few Teac's like you, but I am still very much learning the ropes and techniques for working and diagnosing these machines. You're welcome to borrow this device if it can help you with the alignment. Whatever you learn along the way, I'd like to join you in the knowledge!
 
Calibrated test tapes are very handmade on equipment which must be held to accurate standards. As a result, you'll pay accordingly for it. MRL is the only game in town for open reel alignment tapes. And they are accurate alignment reference standards. Expect to pay around $450-$500 for one. Anything less isn't aligned (as we say in the service and studio fields). Your fine machines shouldn't get any lesser. At my work, I keep a set. Jay McKnight's alignment tapes results speak for themselves.
 
I use the Org. sound track from "The Sound Of Music". Great stereo separation. And I also have Precision Drum beats tape.
 
I got one of those Radio Shack test tapes

I got one of those Radio shack test tapes but without the proper equiptment. Does me no good. I think it needed a wave generator or something like that. So when you play the tape. You check the frequency in the correct tone plus other things.

Josh
 
There is no reasonable substitute for MRL's frequency response test tapes, but you can sometimes pick up short Dolby level calibration tapes on eBay at low cost. If you get 2~3 of these and the levels agree, then you've got a decent playback level reference. Furthermore, if you're willing to make an assumption that these tapes were recorded on a machine with excellent record head azimuth alignment, you can use them for playback head azimuth alignment by adjusting for zero phase difference between left and right channels on a dual-trace scope.
 
Thank you all for your responses and offers. I guess I needed confirmation on the need to buy a certified test and alignment tape. I will save and budget for an MRL test tape. The one I looked at was, 7 1/2 ips, full length, IEC2/ NAB, 21T104, 21T204. The price is $120 USD. My deck is a 4 track machine so I hope I am getting the right format. But just to make sure, I will develop some e-mail rapport with them. I have a feeling that I will need more than one type of tape. When reading up about alignments, there was talk about the recorded test tones, speed tests, and equalization. Probably can’t get all that on one tape.
I have a Wavetek 270 signal generator that I have been playing around with. Injecting test tones into the right and left channels. I kept the signals low to about .775mv
The signal looks good on my two channel “O” scope. Another item I will have to fabricate is an external bias trap that the maintenance manual shows. Have to make some test leads for my VTVM. I don’t think a regular voltmeter will work. All in all, this is supposed to be fun, right? Here is a pic of what I was talking about.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0113.jpg
    IMAG0113.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Have to make some test leads for my VTVM. I don’t think a regular voltmeter will work.

Good VTVMs guarantee measurement accuracy over the entire audio spectrum and usually far beyond. DMMs usually give accurate AC voltage readings at power line frequencies and up into some fraction of the audio spectrum, but you have to check the meter's specifications. This is one area where you generally get what you pay for.
 
Good VTVMs guarantee measurement accuracy over the entire audio spectrum and usually far beyond. DMMs usually give accurate AC voltage readings at power line frequencies and up into some fraction of the audio spectrum, but you have to check the meter's specifications. This is one area where you generally get what you pay for.

And not to forget - in the daily work situation - reading a needles position on a scale is much easier , because you just take a look, then adjust the thing, looking at the needle, ya know where it should end :) Reading a number in a display is a sad way to work :D
 
And not to forget - in the daily work situation - reading a needles position on a scale is much easier , because you just take a look, then adjust the thing, looking at the needle, ya know where it should end :) Reading a number in a display is a sad way to work :D

Someone is liking analog over digital. I doubt you are alone.
 
Someone is liking analog over digital. I doubt you are alone.

Lot's of friends do have serious problems with their internal digital to analog system .. haven't many of us tried to look at a digital clock - just to discover that we in our heads do convert it to what we would read on a clock with two pointers ?

Or been in a car with all digital metres ?
 
You might want to call MRL and ask for a custom tape. None of their advertised tapes have a 400 Hz level-set tone on them, which is what most of the Teac service manuals call for.

A tone generator is no good for playback alignment but essential for record alignment. Use software for this and don't be messing around with expensive to buy, expensive to ship and potentially (perhaps even probably) out-of-whack old hardware units.
 
Jan I feel the same way and do mental calculations sometimes when reading a digital clock. Analog rules. :D as far as music goes in my opinion. Ebzen, you are right in getting calibration tapes but have to say as long as one verifies the signal and amplitude from older test equipment, it is good to use. Always did that in a communications lab when sweeping units after alignment. Here is a few of analog meters you might recognize.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0118.jpg
    IMAG0118.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0119.jpg
    IMAG0119.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0120.jpg
    IMAG0120.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 33
When "shop" was running we used B&o instruments along BK precision, and some Radiometer things (FM and AM meassuring transmitter) - all analog :)

Way ago Grundig made some fine testtapes for decks running 1 7/8 and 3 3/4, still have them, besides the other tape we had to buy to get up on spec..

Wish we had access them to a full track deck - we could (in theory) make several set's of tapes for future use, but time caught up on the r2r's.
 
I've no problem with analogue hardware generators, meters, etc. and would actually love to have a full array of stuff, all in proper calibration. However, to cut out the worry, cut out the expense, and get straight to the point, use software where possible (then buy the units later if you still feel the want). I have an external USB audio interface that has flat frequency response throughout the audio spectrum. Coupled with a DMM that can measure A/C to 400 Hz, used to calibrate the (free) software, the audio interface turns my computer into a perfectly accurate tone generator, 20 Hz - 20 kHz millivolt meter and oscilloscope.

I'm in agreement on the digital vs analogue clock thing but that's why digital watches went out of fashion years ago, right? Everyone prefers hands. Digital car speedometers were once seen as sophisticated and new but now they're seen as cheap. I have to pay due compliment to those early computer programmers who could mentally convert binary to decimal by looking at a series of lamps! That was why you had to be special (and wear a white lab coat) to work in computers in those days :-)
 
.....I have to pay due compliment to those early computer programmers who could mentally convert binary to decimal by looking at a series of lamps! That was why you had to be special (and wear a white lab coat) to work in computers in those days :-)

They stated there are 3 kind of people : Those that can count, and those that can't
 
Back
Top Bottom