• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Testing/Measuring Cartridge Coils

bimasta

Addicted Member
A word of caution...

I've seen countless references to using a meter to measure cartridge coils for continuity or impedance.

Many years ago I acquired a classic Koetsu Rosewood longbody which had no stylus. Cantilever was perfect, just needed a new stone.

I called Cartridge Man in London (I think his name is Len Gregory) to see if he could do the job. He asked if the coils were okay. I said I would test them with my multi-meter.

He shouted angrily "NO!!!!! NEVER DO THAT!!!" Almost ruptured my eardrum. He explained that the wires are so fine they're like fuse-wire. Even the small voltage of the batteries in the meter can melt them.

My meter used 2 batteries, only 3 volts — but it made sense. The wires in a LOMC may only have to handle 3-tenths-of-a-millivolt, so 3 full volts is a massive charge. Also, keeping the coil's moving mass low is a design priority, so the finest gauge wire is used, making the coils even more fragile. If silver wire is used instead of copper, the melting point is even lower, by 100°C.

More sophisticated meters need even more power, I had a Fluke that took 4 batteries = 6 volts. A real cartridge wrecker.

He said the only safe way to test coils is to make a simple cable: 2 RCAs (L & R) on one end, 4 cartridge lugs on the other — connect it to the cartridge, then to the preamp, then brush the cantilever lightly with a stylus brush. If sound comes from both speakers, the coils are probably okay.

That's how I've tested cartridges ever since. I figure someone named "Cartridge Man" would know.

It may be that MMs and higher-output cartridges use thicker coil-wire and aren't vulnerable. But I don't take the risk. Once you make that special little cable, it's so easy to do it safely. And it needn't be a fancy cable: I just used a cheap one from ratshack, it already had RCAs, cut off the other end to install the cartridge lugs. Easy to do, and it's thin and easy to work with.

Not to make you feel bad, but if you've ever tested a cartridge and got readings of "0" and thought "Nope, cartridge is blown" — you may have blown it yourself by testing it.
 
Register to hide this ad
Using an analog meter may damage a cart, a DVOM won't. been using my Fluke for over 40 years.......never an issue
That's good news. I was just sharing info from a reliable source. He didn't specify analog or digital meter.
 
Back
Top Bottom