• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

That Technics smell...

never cared much for technics. my reason is somewhat silly. the small town i grew up in had only one audio dealership. the only brand they carried was panasonic and technics. in fact, that is still all they carry, though the last time i was in there, i was told that technics is no longer.

Unless you want a badass turntable!

Evan
 
This is one of the stranger threads I have read...

But anyway, I agree that gear has different smells. My Marantz 2250 smells like old musty books. Probably the smell of the woodgrain vinyl burning off or melting, even though it's not that hot. Which is a good thing! :thmbsp:
 
Man!

We need a new Forum in here!

"Stripper-Stereo-Sniffers"


Now, my old Luxman has a somewhat musky odor to it.......



Nevermind!


:)


Matt
 
Your life is so much more intersting than mine Craig

"Hang on, I'll call the stripper over to give it a sniff, that oughta sort it out"
 
Your life is so much more intersting than mine Craig

"Hang on, I'll call the stripper over to give it a sniff, that oughta sort it out"

No, ya'll kill me I just called Star and read her this, she says hi! and she wants a bloody t-shirt now:D I like Matt's :"Stripper-Stereo-Sniffers" idea maybe in the old Superscope logo outline font?? And she also thinks ya'll are :nutz::nutz:'os way more than me! Everytime she comes over now, it's gonna play off of all this:D
 
I'm seeing a trend here- my 5760 has an electronic smell of sorts. I noticed it as soon as I brought it in the house. Not a burning smell, though, but I've encountered the odour a long time ago around older radios and such. I'm really curious, is it coming from the capacitors or ...:scratch2:

You've described "The Smell" perfectly. It's an electronics sort of smell...almost like something burned up, but not quite. A milder version of that, with overtones of oak and a bit fruity, with a woody finish
 
I think that one would say that the scent of a SS receiver is a gateway drug. It leads to stronger things such as vintage speakers and odd RTR decks with foreign sounding names that constantly need an alignment to sound halfway decent.
 
old speakers have a profound bouquet... 'specially inside, when you pop off the back cover. Ideally they won't have had rodents dwelling inside (different bouquet entirely).
 
I think that one would say that the scent of a SS receiver is a gateway drug. It leads to stronger things such as vintage speakers and odd RTR decks with foreign sounding names that constantly need an alignment to sound halfway decent.

True. I'm now huffing Essence of Dust on Hot Tubes. I'm so wasted!
 
I love the smell of my PCB's after a "Big Bath" spray on. I hate that cockroach smell that comes from dirty homes or restaurant receivers. :yuck:
 
I have noticed that old philips made gear has a very unique smell to it as well. Curious, but it's always the same.

I used to go to a place called ALL ELECTRONICS for surplus stuff. The place was somewhat dark and had that great musty electronics smell. I loved it. It's unmistakable.

I complained when they cleaned up the place, and put in more lights. They took the "atmosphere" away. It was never the same.
 
I love the smell of my PCB's after a "Big Bath" spray on. I hate that cockroach smell that comes from dirty homes or restaurant receivers. :yuck:


THAT is an unmistakable smell. YUCK!

I know it well from my service days.
 
I have noticed that old philips made gear has a very unique smell to it as well. Curious, but it's always the same.

I recently got a Philips GA-212 TT, little used in original box. Opened the bottom cover (it needed a little maintenance), and I noticed right away that it really does have a distinct smell! Kind of sweet? It's not bad, kinda like it.

I used to go to a place called ALL ELECTRONICS for surplus stuff.

Is this the same place: http://www.allelectronics.com
 
I don't know why, but a lot of imported electronics seem to have a lot of odor when new.

I recently got a Sony tuner, and it hit me when I opened the box. It also runs warm and you could smell it from across the room the first few times I used it.

It's not really a bad smell, but it's not really a good smell either - although I guess it's good if it equals new toys. :)

I've had a number of pieces of new stereo equipment built in the US, and they didn't smell.
 
Smell is the only sense we don't get anymore of vintage equipment. They look as good, sound as good or better, but no aroma. The new gear scent is every bit as intoxicating as the vaunted new car smell. Who can forget the first whiff after opening a new amp or receiver? Olfactory bliss.

Thanks for the reminder.
 
I recently got a Philips GA-212 TT, little used in original box. Opened the bottom cover (it needed a little maintenance), and I noticed right away that it really does have a distinct smell! Kind of sweet? It's not bad, kinda like it.



Is this the same place: http://www.allelectronics.com

Yes, that's the place. Still around. But they have lost that "charm".

Nowadays I just order stuff and have them ship it. They did close down the one near me, but the other store is still only 45 minutes away.

They had that OLD electronics and tube gear smell.
 
They say that smell is actually one of the strongest memory triggers. And since an SA-202 was my FIRST ever stereo, and I loved it dearly and I had a great time listening to it as a kid - it's with hapiness and nostalgia that I'll routinely lean over my current Sa-404 or Sa-818 and take a whiff. Ah - sweet neophyte audiophile memories!

RK
 
Back
Top Bottom