• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The "$250" Amp? - 6LU8 Compactron SE, UL

Well... my output transformers have shipped, along with my capacitors for the power supply and a few other odds and ends.

Chasis's are being built by a friend.

Should be building this thing early next week!

I think I blew the $150 budget though.
 
Got the basic build finished, with the wooden case completely dry fitted to the aluminum diamond plate, with tubes installed.

I like the reflections the aluminum diamond plate gives off, and am interested how the tubes will look in it.

I need to put a finish on the wooden parts of the case, and complete the wiring before final assembly and glue up.

The incredible spring weather we are having here, 80 degree day time highs, is cutting into work time because the outside spring chores abound.
 

Attachments

  • Compactron assembled 1.jpg
    Compactron assembled 1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Compactron assembled 2.jpg
    Compactron assembled 2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 172
  • compactron assembled 3.jpg
    compactron assembled 3.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 187
  • compactron assembled 4.jpg
    compactron assembled 4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 100
I actually thought the same thing Dennis!

Wire it all up where it sits! Do you think cheap pine would hurt the sound?
 
I have now added in my Poly bypass caps as of a couple nights ago and I've had some time to listen to it. They seemed to take some of the edginess off of the top end of the amp. Vocals seem warmer, snare drums and cymbals are a lot more natural now. It seems to have made the bottom end a bit more defined but that could just be the absence of the top end harshness. Of course this could all be a dream, so i may be out of my mind! :) I've just ordered $100 in poly caps for an upgrade to the signal path and power supply. I now have $475 total into my $150 compactron build....LOL Wah Happond?!?!
 
I just went more crazy and bought new .22uf Auricaps for a coupling cap upgrade. I figured for and extra 30 bucks it's worth the experiment seeing as my $150 amp turned into a $500 amp.
 
These Antec toroids are huge!

Seems like a lot of power supply for the money.

I thought the same thing. But it could be worse...

Lost-season-six-episode-1-001.jpg


;)
 
Did I see a hint much earlier in the thread for a set of instructions for us laymen, or perhaps a build guide? Perhaps from wiggy?
 
Bom

Yes

BOM here (list of required materials.)

As for the actual physical design, each of us has gone a different path, but used the basic schematic to follow;

It is here;


I tried to keep the power section and pathways separate from the signal section and pathways.

hope this helps.
 
Hey Guys,

I looked thru ~10 pages of this thread, but have yet to find a picture of a finished amp. Some one please post a link to the pictures.
Better yet, could you add the link to Post #1 in the thread? :)

Thanks,
Scott
 
There are some amp pictures in the thread,
When I get a chance I'll add links to my post on the first page showing them.

Thanks,
keg
 
My build is going to part of a tri amp system so tone controls per-se are not needed but it would be kind of nice to have some treble cut available for over bright recordings. Any reason why a simple "tone control" could not be added from the VAS plate to AC ground? Best way to implement?

mike
 
closer
 

Attachments

  • 0605102308.jpg
    0605102308.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 0607100020a.jpg
    0607100020a.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 229
  • baked.jpg
    baked.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 148
GOYA: you win the prize. I love the amp. Great execution, shows you can build one of these out of anything. There are some guys that post in Pass Labs diyaudio forum that make P2P SS amps with plywood chassis, and I think they're the bomb.

Rage: why would you go to that extra trouble to mount the PT in that orientation? are you planning on putting numbers on it and spinning it like Bob Barker on the Price is Right?
 
Back
Top Bottom