• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The AR “XD(ual)”

CrazieEddie

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Had some time and bits n pieces kicking around so I thought I’d play Dr Frankenstein and cross pollinate an AR parts deck with one of my old Dual arms. Have to admit that the result while not pretty is quite satisfying. It’s not my LP12 or TD126 but perfect for backup duties. I hadn’t listened to the mounted Stanton 881s in years and am re-realizing how nice it actually i22F2A143-C1DE-4F9D-B646-A8E389D31B2E.jpeg E9D19D81-CB7A-41A1-9E23-40EF708DE980.jpeg D7BF9B55-5BAF-4DA0-9B8A-6F771B35D8EB.jpeg 91A81851-7E47-4079-AE4C-71F8705AD6BF.jpeg s.
 
Register to hide this ad
Not surprised at all. Dual cobbled together some really good arms back in the day. Probably could have sold them standalone and competed with the established arm manufacturers.
Nice surgery, Dr Frankenstein!
 
Last edited:
It really shouldn't. The AR arm was 229mm effective with a 15mm overhang vs 222mm with an 18.9mm overhang for the Dual. But if it sounds ok and isn't eating records i guess that's all that really matters.
 
It really shouldn't. The AR arm was 229mm effective with a 15mm overhang vs 222mm with an 18.9mm overhang for the Dual. But if it sounds ok and isn't eating records i guess that's all that really matters.
Couldn’t you adjust the cartridge overhang to compensate? The effective overhang on the arms isn’t significant enough to cause issues I thought. Could be wrong though...
 
Couldn’t you adjust the cartridge overhang to compensate? The effective overhang on the arms isn’t significant enough to cause issues I thought. Could be wrong though...

Depends on the adjustment range of the Dual's headshell, which I don't know, and on how much the difference in the arm offset angles matter.
 
Depends on the adjustment range of the Dual's headshell, which I don't know, and on how much the difference in the arm offset angles matter.

You're absolutely right about the overhang. Fortunately, I was able to extend the Dual arm tube at the gimbal to adjust the length to compensate for the difference. I had no problems getting it to align with my protractor after doing this.
 
Back
Top Bottom