• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The AR turntable motor question

geph0007

AK Member
Subscriber
I have an early The AR turntable from the early 80s. The motor has issues and oiling it helped but still makes a lot of noise I see lot of things out there and many go off on tangents My question is very basic Where do I get as close to exact as possible replacement motor with a minimum of messing around ? Hurst? If so what model? Plug and play would be great but I am guessing that is not happening FYI I used to sell these retail back in the day. Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
You may not have oiled it enough and let it run enough.
It won’t be long before our resident experts chime in and let you know exactly what to do.
 
You can open up the motor and rebuild it fairly easily. Just search this forum for a few threads and pay specific attention to anything posted by marc morin.
 
Is your motor a Hurst or Hayden? If Hayden, and you want to talk about trying to rebuild it, let me know.
 
I still believe you need to make sure you have followed our late great Marc Morin’s motor oiling procedure. Unless your motor is really bad, that procedure should really quiet it down. IMHO
 
It did but still questionable Am I reading this cap right .25mfd 400volt DC?? Parts express item?
 

Attachments

  • cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 20
Thank you for this thread and all of the replies. I had an XA in my youth but sold it, I've since bought one to restore. I think the motor is ok, but a spare won't hurt. I'd read elsewhere that replacement were not available.
 
The unobtainium AR replacement motor is the 600rpm G-520 clock motor from the older two-motor tables.
 
You can also use a bit of lighter fluid to soften the adhesive that holds that cover on the motor...
 
Back
Top Bottom