• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Artist

MisterFishey

Super Member
Just saw this movie on Saturday, and all I have to say is WOW. What an incredible movie. Yes it's in black and white, yes it is (mostly) silent, but the acting, plot, and soundtrack is stupendous. It's a movie to see at the movies. It really captures the cinematic magic of the "golden era" of movies, and well deserves the awards it has gotten so far IMO. It has comedy and heart. As you can tell, I loved it. Has anyone else gone out to see it?

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7pfLlsUQM
 
Register to hide this ad
Just saw this movie on Saturday, and all I have to say is WOW. What an incredible movie. Yes it's in black and white, yes it is (mostly) silent, but the acting, plot, and soundtrack is stupendous. It's a movie to see at the movies. It really captures the cinematic magic of the "golden era" of movies, and well deserves the awards it has gotten so far IMO. It has comedy and heart. As you can tell, I loved it. Has anyone else gone out to see it?

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7pfLlsUQM

wouldn`t even sit through that if i was forced or paid.
 
Just saw this movie on Saturday, and all I have to say is WOW. What an incredible movie. Yes it's in black and white, yes it is (mostly) silent, but the acting, plot, and soundtrack is stupendous. It's a movie to see at the movies. It really captures the cinematic magic of the "golden era" of movies, and well deserves the awards it has gotten so far IMO. It has comedy and heart. As you can tell, I loved it. Has anyone else gone out to see it?

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7pfLlsUQM

I like stuff like this. On your recomendation I'll go see it. :thmbsp:
 
So what you're saying is there's a movie out there without CGI and million dollar explosions??!? That's just crazy talk! I swear, there hasn't been a GOOD movie for a couple years now; might have to check this out.
 
Been thinking about it

how much of this has written dialouge,in other words wriiten lines that the actors are suppossed to be saying but are posted up on the screen?. The reason I ask is I want to take my Mom but her eyes are to the point where she can't read stuff on the screen anymore. Thanks
 
Looks interesting, but didn't the trailer give away the plot?

Yes and no, though the trailer makes the movie look more serious than it is. It's actually a lighthearted comedy for a good portion of the movie.

I like stuff like this. On your recomendation I'll go see it. :thmbsp:

:thmbsp: It's worth the price of admission, trust me.

how much of this has written dialouge,in other words wriiten lines that the actors are suppossed to be saying but are posted up on the screen?. The reason I ask is I want to take my Mom but her eyes are to the point where she can't read stuff on the screen anymore. Thanks

Not too much of it is written dialogue, there are maybe 10 or 12 of the written line cards throughout the whole movie, and even those don't have many words on them. Most of the plot is driven by facial expressions and body gestures, and you notice every subtlety since there are no words to distract you.

But it is just a gimmick, I swear!! Same as 3D!!!

Yeah, it's sort of a gimmick, but not one you see everyday, that's for sure. :D

It's actually the anti-3D: not only is it in black and white, its in 4:3 ratio fullscreen as well (as opposed to 1.33:1 or more widescreen, like most movies nowadays).
 
Just saw this movie on Saturday, and all I have to say is WOW. What an incredible movie. Yes it's in black and white, yes it is (mostly) silent, but the acting, plot, and soundtrack is stupendous. It's a movie to see at the movies. It really captures the cinematic magic of the "golden era" of movies, and well deserves the awards it has gotten so far IMO. It has comedy and heart. As you can tell, I loved it. Has anyone else gone out to see it?

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7pfLlsUQM
So, going by some of the comments here most people didn't like "Young Frankenstein" (B&W) or "Silent Movie" only time, in a performance Marses Marceau spoke. Fine, both Mel Brooks, but you get the idea.

Looks like a pretty bloody good cast, including John Goodman, James Cromwell, Malcolm McDowell.

May have to check this one out.
 
We saw it last night. It is a good movie....was I blown away....not really. The acting is superb the sets are very accurate to the period. The black and white captured the spirit but I would venture to say this was not shot in B&W film as the richness of the true media is missing. I can understand why 99% of the film was silent but IMO this was almost overdone. How it should have been done...I don't know? Maybe the movies that were 'talkies" could of had sound and the characters who were embracing the new technology could be heard. Then again what do I know. Go out and see it. Be the judge for yourself. As I said it is a good movie.
 
We saw it last night. It is a good movie....was I blown away....not really. The acting is superb the sets are very accurate to the period. The black and white captured the spirit but I would venture to say this was not shot in B&W film as the richness of the true media is missing. I can understand why 99% of the film was silent but IMO this was almost overdone. How it should have been done...I don't know? Maybe the movies that were 'talkies" could of had sound and the characters who were embracing the new technology could be heard. Then again what do I know. Go out and see it. Be the judge for yourself. As I said it is a good movie.

But it is not good enough for me to spend the time and money to see it.


So, going by some of the comments here most people didn't like "Young Frankenstein" (B&W) or "Silent Movie" only time, in a performance Marses Marceau spoke. Fine, both Mel Brooks, but you get the idea.


I have no problem with B&W movies. As for Mel Brook's Silent movie, well it was Mel Brooks, and it was a silent movie about the making of a silent movie in modern times. However, he was not trying to recapture the golden era...
 
GMA bombed it this morning, but since it doesn't star folks that grace the covers of checkout line tabloids, is that really any surprise??
 
I just saw and liked it. It was good and certainly innovative (in a retro sort of way). Not a super movie, but a very good movie.
 
Back
Top Bottom