• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Beatles Vinyl...coming soon?

For the love of all that is holy, when in the heck are they going to release The Beatles vinyl box??? We know it's coming. Michael Fremer made a mention of the cause for delay in his review of The Stones' box sets. But when? Is there any update on this....anywhere?

Supposedly it will be from the digital masters that were used for the CD reissues. Not ideal, but it will still be nice to have a modern pressing on audiophile vinyl in a nice package. As someone commented about the Stones' box, no it isn't perfect, but look at it as the last time this will be done in our lifetimes if ever. The resurgence in vinyl will most likely not last forever and then these audiophile reissues will be very few and far between. Were it not for the sorry state of the music business, I don't think record companies would even notice the blip that this resurgence has caused. They only cater to it now because they are hurting so bad.
 
Register to hide this ad
For the love of all that is holy, when in the heck are they going to release The Beatles vinyl box??? We know it's coming. Michael Fremer made a mention of the cause for delay in his review of The Stones' box sets. But when? Is there any update on this....anywhere?

Supposedly it will be from the digital masters that were used for the CD reissues. Not ideal, but it will still be nice to have a modern pressing on audiophile vinyl in a nice package. As someone commented about the Stones' box, no it isn't perfect, but look at it as the last time this will be done in our lifetimes if ever. The resurgence in vinyl will most likely not last forever and then these audiophile reissues will be very few and far between. Were it not for the sorry state of the music business, I don't think record companies would even notice the blip that this resurgence has caused. They only cater to it now because they are hurting so bad.
Biggest obstacle is property rights. I believe there are too many hands in the kitty (pie, whatever) and reaching an agreement has held up other Beatles projects. I believe Paul Regained rights to many Beatles words, but supposed Yoko holds the rest, or most John's stuff.

They're all filthy rich, why do they give a hoot anyway. Paul probably doesn't care.
 
Mobile Fidelity did this years ago, and it sounds damned fine. I'm not sure I want to hear the remaster of the remastered remasters.

How many friggin' times are we gonna remaster these recordings? Well...I guess the answer is as long as people keep spending money on them.

170347729867.JPG
 
Mobile Fidelity did this years ago, and it sounds damned fine. I'm not sure I want to hear the remaster of the remastered remasters.

How many friggin' times are we gonna remaster these recordings? Well...I guess the answer is as long as people keep spending money on them.

170347729867.JPG

That's not entirely fair. The MoFi set is out of print, as is the EMI-produced Blue Box from the late '70s to the mid '80s. Some people want their Beatles on vinyl and they don't feel like doing the used crapshoot or paying super-high prices for OOP sets. I'm not one of them (I bought a sealed Blue Box that I'm very happy with and I am not in the market for anything else), but I don't blame people for wanting what they want, or record labels for trying to give it to them. I prefer a world where things are in print for those who want them.
 
Mobile Fidelity did this years ago, and it sounds damned fine. I'm not sure I want to hear the remaster of the remastered remasters.

How many friggin' times are we gonna remaster these recordings? Well...I guess the answer is as long as people keep spending money on them.

170347729867.JPG
Not sure I understand the statement of remaster of remaster as I thought remasters are always from the source tapes and that subsequent "remasters" are simply the result of better equipment to pull the best possible sound from those source tapes.

Anyone really know what takes place? I'm sure it's not the same for all supposed remasters, based on negative comments about various remasters out there.
 
The 'Love' Album was done from the original 40 year old 24 track tapes.

Surely the new masters would be done from the same tapes, wouldn't they ?
 
Mobile Fidelity did this years ago, and it sounds damned fine. I'm not sure I want to hear the remaster of the remastered remasters.

How many friggin' times are we gonna remaster these recordings? Well...I guess the answer is as long as people keep spending money on them.

170347729867.JPG

I was lucky enough to get a hold of this set and I can say it really does sound amazing. I have heard other pressings and they dont seem to be nearly as good.
 
Not sure I understand the statement of remaster of remaster as I thought remasters are always from the source tapes and that subsequent "remasters" are simply the result of better equipment to pull the best possible sound from those source tapes.

My beef with remasters is that the recording engineers just can't resist creative remixing, and in the worst case adding reverb. If the engineers can improve the fidelity of the original, fine. BUT, DON'T MAKE IT SOUND LIKE A COMLETELY DIFFERENT RECORDING.

BTW, the very worse remastering is offspring singing duets with their dead parents. FREAKY.

Bobby Dipole
 
Supposedly it will be from the digital masters that were used for the CD reissues. Not ideal, but it will still be nice to have a modern pressing on audiophile vinyl in a nice package.

I think it already happened.
It was done like the Mono CD box set release, and from the original tapes like the CD box set.
I have the Mono CD box set and it is phenomenal. I don't know how I missed it, I was waiting for its release. Maybe I am reading something wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Mono-Collection-Box-Set-Red/dp/B002YJQFNG/ref=tmm_vnl_title_0
http://onethirtybpm.com/news/rumor-...reo-catalog-to-be-released-on-180-gram-vinyl/
 
I think it already happened.
It was done like the Mono CD box set release, and from the original tapes like the CD box set.
I have the Mono CD box set and it is phenomenal. I don't know how I missed it, I was waiting for its release. Maybe I am reading something wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Mono-Collection-Box-Set-Red/dp/B002YJQFNG/ref=tmm_vnl_title_0
http://onethirtybpm.com/news/rumor-...reo-catalog-to-be-released-on-180-gram-vinyl/

No, it hasn't. Those are old pressings of questionable source material.

I think most have missed what I was asking. The box sets that have been posted here are of questionable sources. The one exception is the Mobile Fidelity box. However, that box is LONG out of print and commands a very high price, and quite frankly I'm not sure it's worth it. That feeling is echoed by many of those that were involved in recording and mixing the songs originally. I have had a few of the Mofi pressings in the past, but I wasn't impressed after hearing original Parlophone British pressings. I have a few of the original British mono pressings and nothing beats them, but good luck finding them in good condition and if you do prepare to open your wallet. The new pressings are suppose to be sourced from the high res digital files that were used for the mono CD box of 2009. It continues to get delayed. Obviously, a pure analog path from the original tapes would be ideal but it looks like that is never going to happen again. That's a shame, especially if you have Love on vinyl, because that was sourced from the original analog tapes and it sounds incredible.

As an aside, if the only thing you've ever heard is the Capitol pressings. You have my sympathy. Capitol butchered the material to make it "user friendly" for American radio and Americans with crappy turntables.
 
Hi,
I have the MoFi of Abby Road, which I Really like, oh by the way doesn't the
Jackson family own the rights to the Beatles song's
 
No, it hasn't. Those are old pressings of questionable source material.

I think most have missed what I was asking. The box sets that have been posted here are of questionable sources. The one exception is the Mobile Fidelity box. However, that box is LONG out of print and commands a very high price, and quite frankly I'm not sure it's worth it.

The red box was a limited edition released by EMI UK circa 1982. It contained the reissued mono albums from the same year. Nothing questionable about it.

The blue box that I mentioned contained stock stereo albums released by EMI in a number of countries. It wasn't limited edition, being in print from around 1978 to 1987 (deleted upon the released of the CDs and their digitally sourced vinyl counterparts with barcodes on the back covers). Again, nothing questionable about the blue boxes, either. Many of the earlier copies contain tube cuts--later ones contain solid state cuts, but these are pure analog and contain the original mixes.

Many feel that these are better than the MoFi set, which supposedly has been subjected to "smiley-face" EQ. I've never heard that one, so I can't comment.

However, as I mentioned above, all three of these boxes suffer from the fact that they are OOP. Will a 2011 digitally sourced vinyl set sound better than some or all of these? Who knows, but I'm glad I have the blue box, which is as close as you can get to the all-analog sound of the '60s issues as you can get without actually paying huge amounts for the originals.
 
Hi,
oh by the way doesn't the
Jackson family own the rights to the Beatles song's

They control the publishing, which is not an issue here. Apple and EMI reserve the right to issue the Beatles master recordings in any way they see fit. The Jackson estate has no say in the matter.
 
The red box was a limited edition released by EMI UK circa 1982. It contained the reissued mono albums from the same year. Nothing questionable about it.

The blue box that I mentioned contained stock stereo albums released by EMI in a number of countries. It wasn't limited edition, being in print from around 1978 to 1987 (deleted upon the released of the CDs and their digitally sourced vinyl counterparts with barcodes on the back covers). Again, nothing questionable about the blue boxes, either. Many of the earlier copies contain tube cuts--later ones contain solid state cuts, but these are pure analog and contain the original mixes.

Questionable as in what generation of tape copy. None of these boxes were sourced from the original tapes to my knowledge.
 
I want them, I want them, ... I'll buy the box if I have to just to get the mono LPs. I've heard the 2009 Mono CDs and can't wait for the vinyl.
 
Questionable as in what generation of tape copy. None of these boxes were sourced from the original tapes to my knowledge.

Can't speak to the MoFi, but the two EMI boxes were. But if you disagree, what do you suppose they were sourced from, then, and what evidence do you have to support it?
 
For the record, I'm playing Help from the Blue Box right now. Pressed in 1985 with matrix number YEX 169-4 on side two. Cut by HTM aka Harry Moss. Probably the third or fourth time it's ever been played and it sounds amazing. It's going to be hard for EMI to top this, I think.
 
For the record, I'm playing Help from the Blue Box right now. Pressed in 1985 with matrix number YEX 169-4 on side two. Cut by HTM aka Harry Moss. Probably the third or fourth time it's ever been played and it sounds amazing. It's going to be hard for EMI to top this, I think.

If the new lps are from the same mastering as the cd, I don't really see the point. It should sound pretty much like the remastered cds.
 
If the new lps are from the same mastering as the cd, I don't really see the point. It should sound pretty much like the remastered cds.

Agreed. Though the CDs sound great and I wouldn't begrudge anyone the opportunity to own those records on new good-sounding vinyl.
 
I agree the Beatle's had some pretty good material, and own several of their recording's myself. Think after 45 year's plus, about had enough though, and really not interested in adding any more. Possibly change my mind later on, but doubt it.
 
Back
Top Bottom