• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Best 50 Dollar A Pair Speakers Ever ??

There has been a lot of talk in this thread and elsewhere on site about "refoaming" or "replacing surrounds."
We're making it sound as if old foam-edged speakers have a simple maintenance problem! Psshhha! Balderdash! In the interest of perpetuating our hobby, let's stick with the technically correct and, thankfully, still commonly used terms "blown" or "broken."

:saywhat::saywhat::saywhat::saywhat::saywhat:
 
The best speakers I ever got for 50 dollars or less was a pair of Infinity Kappa 8's that cost me 50 dollars. I had to buy a polydome for one of them, which I found on an auction site, but that set me back another 60 dollars.
 
Lucky dog.

I'm guessing the kappas were local to you.

What are you driving them with?

The Kappa 8's are my smallest pair of Infinity's that I own. I sometimes rotate them and drive them with a either SAE, Crown, Phase Linear, or Mcintosh. In my Phase Linear rack I have the analog time delay and will probably use them in a room later as rear speakers to a pair of Kappa 9's driven by a pair of Phase Linear 700 II bi-amped. And they were across the state a couple of hours drive in Tampa Florida.
 
Some thoughts on the Insignia speakers:

1. They're priced right, even today at just under $90.00.
2. Sound is sweet and solid, with an airy character with tight, though not chest thumping bass, sweet and smooth mids, and tightly controlled crisp highs.
3. I played these speakers through my 200 wpc Sheerwood amplifier, and was surprised with just how good they sound.
4. Also tried them with my Cayin A-100T 100wpc tube amp, and again I was surprised.
5. These speakers are far more resolute than they have a right to be.
6. They will not replace my main speakers, like my RTA-11T's or my Cizek Model Ones, but they are not intended for that.
7. I will use them as my fronts and rears for my surround system, using Martin Logan for the center channel and a REL subwoofer. Sound is absolutely fantastic.

Still one of the best audio buys out there for those who are open to the thought that an inexpensive speaker can sound better that a much more expensive one.

Do not underestimate this speaker simply because it is from an unknown in the audio world manufacturer, or because it costs so little.:scratch2:

Cheers
 
Some thoughts on the Insignia speakers:

1. They're priced right, even today at just under $90.00.
2. Sound is sweet and solid, with an airy character with tight, though not chest thumping bass, sweet and smooth mids, and tightly controlled crisp highs.
3. I played these speakers through my 200 wpc Sheerwood amplifier, and was surprised with just how good they sound.
4. Also tried them with my Cayin A-100T 100wpc tube amp, and again I was surprised.
5. These speakers are far more resolute than they have a right to be.
6. They will not replace my main speakers, like my RTA-11T's or my Cizek Model Ones, but they are not intended for that.
7. I will use them as my fronts and rears for my surround system, using Martin Logan for the center channel and a REL subwoofer. Sound is absolutely fantastic.

Still one of the best audio buys out there for those who are open to the thought that an inexpensive speaker can sound better that a much more expensive one.

Do not underestimate this speaker simply because it is from an unknown in the audio world manufacturer, or because it costs so little.:scratch2:

Cheers

Well put! I did the extensive cap mod to mine..and boy, what an improvement.

For quick listening sessions, I fire them up, powered by a minty Sony STR-7065A, and the results are stunning.

Ardent supporter of these speakers, even now. (tho I got mine 39.99, floor models:music:)
 
Sorry to thread ressurect. I'm in the need for budget speakers and I even have a gift card to BB, which makes these attractive. My question is this: Do these typicallly go on sale for Black Friday?
 
I can't fully agree. The Insignias are good for a spare room system where you just want the cheapest sound practical. But for serious listening the Insignias aren't refined enough.

For that I would get a pair of Infinity Primus, which are much better.
 
I can't fully agree. The Insignias are good for a spare room system where you just want the cheapest sound practical. But for serious listening the Insignias aren't refined enough.

For that I would get a pair of Infinity Primus, which are much better.

your posts are usually very knowledgeable, and I would tend to agree, but then again, if he were wanting SERIOUS sound, he'd be spending more than a c-note.

Get 'em. They are special, like Minimus 7's are special.

And if you bother to fill in the cabinets with putty and recap with better stuff, then they are serious lil speakers. Not the "best", naysayers bedamned, but just fun.
 
You can get the smallest Primus model used, or as a refurb, for less than $100/pair.

I know... that's still more than $50. But they're very much worth the additional cash.
 
You can get the smallest Primus model used, or as a refurb, for less than $100/pair.

I know... that's still more than $50. But they're very much worth the additional cash.

There you have it, TxdoHawk. Two similiar, if slightly dissenting, opinions. You said you had a gift card. Wanna use it, get Insignias.

Want better, for a lil' more cash? Go Infinity. I have two pairs of Infinity's, and there's nothing like those silky highs, for the money.
 
Agreed.

And to address one of the original questions... I don't think these particular speakers are likely to be marked down much on Black Friday. Maybe a little, but probably not so much that you'd regret buying them now.

From what I've seen of such sales in the past, speakers typically aren't "door buster" material.

But if you're not in need of speakers right now, you might as well wait... IF you are willing to deal with the Black Friday wake up hours, long lines, traffic, etc.. Personally, I am not.
 
@80s and onward, what about the Infinity Primus P152's (or what model would you recommend)? How would they sound hooked up to a technics 1200? And would I need a woofer, or anything else?
 
@80s and onward, what about the Infinity Primus P152's (or what model would you recommend)? How would they sound hooked up to a technics 1200? And would I need a woofer, or anything else?

You'd need something to drive the speakers, an amp or receiver. If you really meant that question the way it was worded and didn't know that you need something to drive your speakers, then ask some more questions and we'll send you in the right direction. If you already knew, then I apologize for misunderstanding the question.
 
If you're not looking for the cheapest speaker possible, I would get the P162 -- more usable bass.

But, if you want bass that you can actually feel, in addition to bass you hear, you will want a subwoofer. (Even with a sub I would suggest the P162 -- smoother match with the sub crossover point.)

As stereofanboy said, ancillary equipment is a whole 'nother arena. But I think the Primus line will sound good with a wide variety of gear, because it's quite neutral.
 
You'd need something to drive the speakers, an amp or receiver. If you really meant that question the way it was worded and didn't know that you need something to drive your speakers, then ask some more questions and we'll send you in the right direction. If you already knew, then I apologize for misunderstanding the question.

Hi, I know I need a receiver, but didn't know if I'd need any kind of amp as well. My parents' onkyo is surround sound, and has no phono input so I've been looking for a new one for myself. Could I buy just an amp and not use a receiver? Also, are there any nice cheaper model receivers that will work good with the P162's and SL1200-MKII? thanks guys
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My suggestion: Get a receiver from Denon or NAD. (new or used). They're my favorites. Receivers make life easier because they have everything you might want in one package -- tuner, preamplifier, amplifier. (just make sure it has phono input before buying).
 
Last edited:
If you want something new and cheap, look for a Sherwood stereo, (not surround sound) receiver. They used to be $100 or less at Radio Shack. I just checked Radio Shack's website and it looks like they still carry it, it's the RX-4109 and it's $99.99. There are some folks on AudiioKarma that have this receiver and they seem to like the sound and feel that it was a good value, but found the build quality and longevity to be questionable.

If using your parents Onkyo is a viable option, separate phono preamps are available. This is a device that you plug in inline between your turntable and a set of inputs on your receiver, that will allow you to play records and have them sound right. This is an incredibly inexpensive way to enjoy records right away, while gathering funds for a better sound system of your own. These can be purchased new on e-bay for as little as $11.95. You can also spend over $1000 for a phono preamp, the prices vary widely as will the quality of the sound.

If you need further information, you should probably start a new thread in the general audio discussion forum. More people will see it there and we won't be hijacking this thread.

By the way, that Technics is a fine and desireable turntable. You can go a good way up the sound system ladder before the turntable will be your weak link, so hang on to it.
 
Last edited:
There is probably no more widely-acknowledged "bargain" today than Behringer's "Truth" series studio monitors. Google around, and you'll find they can be sourced quite reasonably....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just to keep the thread going...

... and, yes, I have touched the Insignia's in question, but I won't be purchasing any time soon. Simply because if I drag another pair of speakers in here EVEN if hearing-aid size my wife is going to put me OUTside.

I have two candidates for my (not your) best speakers under $50.

1. Technics SB-L200s (still in service) from the Salvation army for $15 the pair and
2. Klipsch KSB 3.1s (also still in service) from Craigslist for $30 the pair.

Admittedly, I haven't bought a pair of NEW loudspeakers in quite a while.
Zilch... (above post) how Behringer makes good-sounding and good-performing equipment for such fantastic prices is beyond me. I have occasionally run into a cheapie-branded component that sounded exceptional, but nowhere near the great sounding across the board performance of Behringer. Champagne sound on a beer budget.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom