• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

THE BEST CASSETTE DECK EVER

What is the best tape deck for playing used and worn tapes, for purpose of making new master copy


  • Total voters
    10
  • Poll closed .
+1 for the Advent 201. They may not have the highest specs some of the decks on this list does but they SOUND good. Too many people hear with their eyes instead of their ears, especially nowadays. These decks are built like a tank. The ONLY thing I've done is to replace the two rubber drive belts which only required taking the front cover off with no disassembly of any of the mechanisms. I have an 201 that was built in 1972 and it still works great. How may Naks built in the 1970s can you say that about?
 
For old tapes it is IMPERATIVE, i repeat IMPERATIVE to have a deck with PLAY TRIM !!!!!

It adjusts bad biased tapes by amplifiying or lowying treble section (bias related EQ) during playback.
This is done BEFORE Dolby circuits, so Dolby can work properly.

I strongly recommend Yamaha two Heads for playback they are top Highend, bought a Yamaha KX-260 and i can´t tell Type 2 cassetes recorded back in 1993 from CD.
(Some things are better, others are worst, ever slightly less sharpness, detail and accuracy but more pleasing sound more treble with less sheen, like a studio valve master processor.)
This deck changed my thought on cassetes.
Sound stage of the Yamaha is impressive, so many layers, Holografic as all other sources, and detailed micro dynamics,(singer retains dryness and sharpness, monoaural focus and frontness in a background echoing soundtrack, and this is done with razor sharp separation) absolute zero intermodulation distortion.
Just connect it to a digital 24 bit 96Khz portable recorder like Tascam, Sony or Zoom, or a good DAC on a PC, adjust PLAY TRIM by ear, and you're good to go.

P.S. It still records very well, but biasing a tape is a long process, for recording i recommend 3 head with MANUAL bias and rec gain with display assistance, but not all automatic, cause you may need to tweak it by ear for Dolby on some tapes.

(I've high end sytem with valve preamp Audio note M7 copy, QUAD 405 mod 3 with 500VA power supply, Proac studio 125, all with silver cables and russian paper in oil capacitors, and an acoustically treated room.)

+1 on Yamaha decks. My friends cannot distinguish recordings and from the original CD source on both my KX-800 and KX-1200 models. I wish they had playback trim but they don't. But man can those decks record well and playback well their recordings.
 
I worked on a Advent that was suppose to be modified for some reason and the mod did not work and the unit from a view of a Technician was a real old piece of junk. This goes to show that a lot of people are easily fooled. The Teac A450 would blow away the Advent unit easily and often does- I don't even take in such item like Advent as they just are not worth the effort. I don't take in Tanbergs either but maybe you have the parts and patience- I can not waste time on them.
The Yamaha products I had here had worn out heads and no way to replace it. I have one here from a well known site owner and he is gone now but there was no way to fix his deck without a head and they (Yamaha) like other companies probably just threw them out like Sony did and write off the whole thing.
 
Here is one for you thinkers and no I do not have the answer already. This is a Teac 450 cassette deck 117 voltage and 60Hz label with correct motor wiring and 3uFd motor run cap I even put a different new one in and the pulley at 60 section is 18mm like another deck. Yes it runs 2% fast or at 3071 on the 3 KHz speed tape. I can not figure out what is causing this and the belt is not running up on the ridge of the pulley and the belt is in good shape and new. I don't get how a motor goes faster than it is suppose to. It is on the smaller 60 Hz section of pulley. Anyone ever see this? It is a new one on me..
 
I would guess bad cap in the motor speed regulator?

They do tend to speed up over time.

Why don't you adjust it to the proper speed? Does it not adjust slow enough?

There is usually a sticker on the back of the motor you can either take off or poke through with a jeweller's driver and adjust the speed. Sometimes it's on a board connected to the motor. You probably knew that but just trying to help.
 
There can be usually no question that the best cassette deck is going to end up being a Nakamichi deck but which one? I have talked with different clients and shop Technicians and usually the vole either goes for the ZX7 or ZX9. The BX300 is no piece of garbage but as they examine things with test equipment and notice the small details the better decks start to stick out above the rest. Now I am a Teac Technician from the start but have worked on other equipment of every kind. No one had a chance to beat Nakamichi as they made such great heads that none of the other companies that used stock made heads could compete. Just realize the Nakamichi spend a lot of money making those heads and so they were not all that profitable which is why they went out of business before some of the junk makers did.
 
i owned a Nakamichi Dragon years ago. Mine must have been a lemon. I had it serviced multiple times by Home Entertainment in Houston and they finally suggested that I sell it. I did, disclosing the issue. It was years ago but the auto azimuth alignment would skew off track making the recording useless. It was replaced with a Nakamichi BX300 with the gear drive. The deck makes beautiful recordings and has required no maintenance. The Dragon was very cool looking, but my copy was a money pit and frustrating.
 
it always seemed to me very much like a pro camera you had every setting known to man for the perfect shot (the dragon) and the point and shoot camera, picked it up took a great pic (tandberg) and skipped all the fuss. hope that makes sense
 
My favourite deck is my Pioneer CT-91a an excellent deck has all the specification you will ever need and makes superb recordings especially on Chrome tape. Biggest concern now is the demise of quality blank tape, what's available is poor.
 
I'm a Technics fan and I have RS M45, M85, B905, B85, AZ6 and some others. The most natural performance is from the RS AZ6. You can generally get one for around 300 or 400 dollars. After a lot of blind tests, it is not possible to tell the difference between the source and the recording made with that deck. The sound of the other decks is also extremely good but each one of them adds its own distinctive mark on the sound, making the listening experience even more enjoyable.
 
- full metal alloy mechanism with high quallity material processing
- 2 separate capstan motor for one quartz control (without belt)
- 2 reel motor
- only one direction
- no azimuth, no pitch control
- separate play and record head
- motor moving head console (not magnetic relay)
- L R channel bias and level control (help for tape transport and head position detection)
- no Dolby B C S, no MPX filter
- Dolby HX Pro
- dedicated power supply for diferent sections (audio, process contol, power drive)
- minimalize signal path and mechanical switch
- advanced memory function for tape properties storage

It exists? :)
 
The best deck in the world is the one you can keep RUNNING!!
My own list is short, as I have owned and worked on plenty of decks.
I USED to own high end decks including the Studer A721. All these decks are fickle.
Sold the whole lot and went back to simple and sturdy.
I currently own a Teac C-3X and a Tascam 122MKII, both fully rebuilt. They just WORK and never complain.

I do have a Teac C-1, but that's more a novelty deck for me. Barbarically overbuilt, but with decks like that
come fickle problems again. I'm a tech, so that's no problem, but god forbid you had to find someone that
even knows what a C-1 IS, much less WORK on it. Even the pinch rollers are unobtainium, I had to MAKE a set!

MANY decks will do great for playback to digitize tapes. So keep it simple, stupid!
But for recording.... well, that's another subject.
 
Hi, Chime in on this subject, over the years I have owned a Nakamichi BX-1, CR-202, BX300 and now I have a CR-7 and CR-5. The BX-300 is an awesome sounding 3 head deck, price varies, however I would recommend to find one serviced by Willy Hermann! You ill pay more, but then you will have piece of mind that it will run for more years to come!!

Bottom line is budget---The Dragon is nice but the prices are off the chart with the cassette come-back! Add new Cassette blank tapes, Those prices are out of control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My CR-7 is my favorite, my CR-5 is with Mr. Hermann for its rebuild, 550.00. It cost me 650,00 for him to service the CR-7, but after they will last another 20 years!

If you put in a old pre-recorded tape from the 70's, the Azimuth adjust is a very nice feature o the CR-5 and 7.

I have heard from the Nak users, the CR-5 slightly outperforms the CR-7, however I have not yet had a chance to do some testing until my Cr-5 return from service

Also, I hear from a technician the buy the nicest used deck you can, even if not working, then send it in for a rebuild!!

The Dragon Service is 1000.00, so be prepared if the Dragon does need service!!!

B-
 
Not to be an ass. But you all know I can be.The best cassette deck is the one that is my stable at any given time. I'm so old that I have either listened to, or owned, most of the top quality decks from yesteryear's. Given that, the Nak Dragon is probably the king, But I found that the Hitachi D-5500 could give it a run for its money. Especially in the playback/biasing area. This is the one I owned and sent to AK member NakDoc for a total rebuild. It be one of those "kick yourself in the ass" for selling items. But I'm sure that there is some gentleman in Europe enjoying it as I type this.


In-Play2.jpg


25954562104_86d97cf354_b.jpg
Looks like a VERY NICE DECK, I want one!!!!
 
Looks like a VERY NICE DECK, I want one!!!!

When the deck is up to its factory specs, it is a great sounding (and looking) deck. The trick is to get it back to factory standards. I was lucky enough to find mine on the cheap. Then I sent it off to AK member Nakdoc for a full restoration. Nakdoc is a audio surgeon when it comes to cassette decks IMHO. When I got it back from him I could not believe the stage like sound it could produce. If you do find one, hang on to it. Or let me know and we can work something out I'm sure.
 
Hi, Chime in on this subject, over the years I have owned a Nakamichi BX-1, CR-202, BX300 and now I have a CR-7 and CR-5. The BX-300 is an awesome sounding 3 head deck, price varies, however I would recommend to find one serviced by Willy Hermann! You ill pay more, but then you will have piece of mind that it will run for more years to come!!

Bottom line is budget---The Dragon is nice but the prices are off the chart with the cassette come-back! Add new Cassette blank tapes, Those prices are out of control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My CR-7 is my favorite, my CR-5 is with Mr. Hermann for its rebuild, 550.00. It cost me 650,00 for him to service the CR-7, but after they will last another 20 years!

If you put in a old pre-recorded tape from the 70's, the Azimuth adjust is a very nice feature o the CR-5 and 7.

I have heard from the Nak users, the CR-5 slightly outperforms the CR-7, however I have not yet had a chance to do some testing until my Cr-5 return from service

Also, I hear from a technician the buy the nicest used deck you can, even if not working, then send it in for a rebuild!!

The Dragon Service is 1000.00, so be prepared if the Dragon does need service!!!

B-

What cassette comeback? If I see new decks being built that includes at a bare minimum, Dolby B and whose W&F and SNR are dramatically better then the cheap crap currently being manufactured, then I might begin to hope. I dont think we will ever see new chrome or metal tapes being produced ever again.
 
What cassette comeback? If I see new decks being built that includes at a bare minimum, Dolby B and whose W&F and SNR are dramatically better then the cheap crap currently being manufactured, then I might begin to hope. I dont think we will ever see new chrome or metal tapes being produced ever again.

No high end decks will ever be produced again, IMO. Folks who wish high end decks, are buying them up and driving up the prices significantly. Pre recorded tape sales are up-mostly driven by sales to young music fans, as CD's aren't cool anymore (for the younger buyers). Bands are releasing via cassette, which is less costly then the 'cool' vinyl. Smaller bands see cassette as a viable way to distribute their music, for those who like physical media. My 31yo daughter buys vinyl, listens via streaming, or now, with a gift of a modest deck by me, cassette.
 
The best deck in the world is the one you can keep RUNNING!!
My own list is short, as I have owned and worked on plenty of decks.
I USED to own high end decks including the Studer A721. All these decks are fickle.
Sold the whole lot and went back to simple and sturdy.
I currently own a Teac C-3X and a Tascam 122MKII, both fully rebuilt. They just WORK and never complain.

I do have a Teac C-1, but that's more a novelty deck for me. Barbarically overbuilt, but with decks like that
come fickle problems again. I'm a tech, so that's no problem, but god forbid you had to find someone that
even knows what a C-1 IS, much less WORK on it. Even the pinch rollers are unobtainium, I had to MAKE a set!

MANY decks will do great for playback to digitize tapes. So keep it simple, stupid!
But for recording.... well, that's another subject.

Hello Mr. Tinman,
I have been searching for a way to contact you as your are a renowned expert on servicing Revox tape decks as well as having an affection for vintage gear.
I have an old Revox B215 Cassette Deck in need of service and am wondering if you are accepting new service work. I live in New York City and would like to get this deck serviced as I have in mind to give it to my son so he may enjoy it.
Please advise.
Best regards.
 
Back
Top Bottom