• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"The Best Speakers for the lowest price you will ever See - $2400" (Stow, MA)

I think he is talking subwoofers in market leak high frequency. He didn't mention ported or not, not leaky subwoofer.
 
I'd be interested to hear his speakers, or hear feedback from someone I trust with regard to his speakers. I wonder how sensitive they are...if they require a lot of power to sound their best, then they'll be a non-starter for a lot of folks on AK.

-D
 
I think they call it "advertising", and I believe hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on it by people promoting both legitimately excellent products and many truly shi**y ones.

Legacy Audio started in a barn in (?)Iowa.
Apple started in a basement.
Polk Audio was started by three "nerds" who knew little of hi-end audio.
Saul Marantz was a graphic designer who built his first device based on a car stereo pulled from his own vehicle.
Conrad & Johnson were two economists who wanted better sound systems.

As for imaging, it's based on accurate sound reproduction by the speaker.
He's right in that speakers don't "image"; they reproduce sound.
The "imaging" is a sonic illusion facilitated by the accurate reproduction of the sound and the correct hardware setup (speaker placement, room setup, etc.) that allows it to happen.

I wouldn't knock him or his speakers until I experienced them myself.

Good to know that "image" part.

But now I am puzzled. I heard people say "speakers sound boxy", some say "speakers totally disappear". I tend to believe single speakers only reproduce sound, but two or more can contribute to "image" since I myself found that bookshelf speakers normally sounds "not boxy". So please educate me. Thanks!:music:
 
I only briefly scanned the statement but regardless of what the man says, wouldn't it be more prudent to refrain from passing judgment until someone actually heard his product- before throwing him to the lions?
 
Last edited:
I admit that this guy isn't bashful. And to paraphrase George Carlin, I did have a "This guy's stuff is crap and my crap is stuff" moment. After a little contemplation, I realized I was curious to hear his stuff.
 
Reading the text doesn't make me feel inclined to go out of my way to hear his product.
I've heard good speakers and I own good speakers, some that "image" and some that did not.
I'll pass on his self promotional stuff...
 
All I have to do to tell which systems will sound very good is to look at the frequency response curve that shows the total power the speaker radiates. If it is fairly flat and if it goes low enough and high enough, the speaker will sound great.
Ummm...No. While a flat frequency response along with a good power response in important is doesn't tell you everything. If you think this is all a speaker needs to sound good then I have to question your speaker design talents. What about the breakup at the cone resonant frequency? What about the phase relationship in the x-over region? What about baffle diffraction or the amount of baffle step? What about dispersion and the transition from half to full pi? What about cross-talk? What about harmonic distortion (especially in the mid band?) What about cabinet resonant? What about transient response and group delay?
 
Good to know that "image" part.

But now I am puzzled. I heard people say "speakers sound boxy", some say "speakers totally disappear". I tend to believe single speakers only reproduce sound, but two or more can contribute to "image" since I myself found that bookshelf speakers normally sounds "not boxy". So please educate me. Thanks!:music:

The boxy/not so boxy is (I think) generally attributed to management of diffraction - does the sound come from a virtual point source or multiple, indipendent "virtual point sources" arising from diffraction effects at cabinet edges and boundaries.
 
I like how he suggests you go check out his great feedback on ebay.
I did, and sure enough, it's mostly good...but not one bit of it relates to his speakers.
 
I don't see anything that would interest me in his designs. But as far as ridiculing the guy I have no interest in doing that either.
 
I don't see anything that would interest me in his designs. But as far as ridiculing the guy I have no interest in doing that either.

that was not the intent of the post. I honestly want put all the information he posted aside and just hear what he has developed. There are no shortage of crackpots in Audio. This time, pre-judgement aside. I'm ignoring what he posted and want a demo. No critique. just want to hear and if he's cool we can shoot the **** about audio , non audio, The Bruins loss, diaper changing .. whatever.

My only jab was about marketing. C'mon Ken, :) the name he chose is "Audio Research" That's like me naming my project SonusFaber and not expecting people to look at me like I have 3 heads. Step one. Make sure no one else is using the name before you adopt it. What's next , start a band and call it TheBeatles? it's hard not to poke fun at that. I've said nothing about his philosphy, commentary, or product. -
 
I don't have the patience to read all of his words but I hope that listening to this guy's speakers is less fatiguing than reading his prose.

Should we invite him to show these beauties off at the AK event in Walpole on July 13? Not sure but it might be interesting if we give him a defined time window to demo them in and maybe a max word count for his marketing. :blah:
 
I don't have the patience to read all of his words but I hope that listening to this guy's speakers is less fatiguing than reading his prose.

Should we invite him to show these beauties off at the AK event in Walpole on July 13? Not sure but it might be interesting if we give him a defined time window to demo them in and maybe a max word count for his marketing. :blah:


I think we should and it should be genuine, not a roast. - If anyone have ever spoken to a certain repair shop owner in Watertown Mass. They could attest that there is clearly something gone horribly wrong in that guys noggin. - yet he's been in business forever and 2 days. How the hell is that even possible? but I digress... An invite is in order and an open mind wouldn't hurt. again , who knows it might be the best thing any of us have ever heard.
 
Last edited:
I think we should and it should be genuine, not a roast. - If anyone have ever spoken to a certain repair shop owner in Watertown Mass. They could attest that there is clearly something gone horribly wrong in that guys noggin...

I agree on both points, inviting the speaker dude from Stow and your assessment of the nut in Watertown. I saw that the lights were on close to noon one Sunday morning in his store so I opened the unlocked door and walked in, assuming he was open for business. He very angrily yelled, "What are you doing in here?" Hmmm, you left the door unlocked. I haven't been back since...
 
Last edited:
I think they call it "advertising", and I believe hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on it by people promoting both legitimately excellent products and many truly shi**y ones.

Legacy Audio started in a barn in (?)Iowa.
Apple started in a basement.
Polk Audio was started by three "nerds" who knew little of hi-end audio.
Saul Marantz was a graphic designer who built his first device based on a car stereo pulled from his own vehicle.
Conrad & Johnson were two economists who wanted better sound systems.

I don't care what you call it. When some self promotional jackwad is beating his drum that hard it makes me go in the opposite direction.

You can't seriously be trying to draw a parallel between Legacy, Apple, Polk, Marantz, CJ ...... and this Craigslist clown.:no:
 
I thought Billy Mays was dead and Ron Popeil was retired? Sounds like to me one them is schilling the text in the self-promotional ad.

Now where is my Mighty Putty and my Pocket Fisherman? (I keep my can of Spray-on-Hair for Men handy!)

And since his eBay rating is the only credibility for us to trust, well, what are the ratings in the AudioResearch speakers he has sold on eBay? How many sold? Any testimonials from happy and amazed buyers? What about independent reviews? Did not see any of that in both of his posts--and I read them both.

I am going to just keep listening to my vintage K-horns (paid much less than $2400) until he can get some independent, credible reviewers on board. Until then, I will busy myself trying to locate my Chop-o-matic.
 
Back
Top Bottom