• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Best Vintage Full Automatic Turntable

In my search for a turntable, I am looking for a full automatic that would be easier for my wife to use when I am not home. Needless to say the search has been daunting as it has given me a case of decsional paralysis.

Just about every manufacturer had full automatics and semi automatics. I think we all know the differences between the two, so we can skip it and move on to the question regarding what would be the best vintage full automatic turntable.

In my search, I found the Denon DP models had the best wow and flutter numbers of 0.008%. In your search, how much do you rely on the specs in order to make your decision?

So, I come to you to ask what you believe to be the best vintage full automatic turntable. For the sake of the topic, lets leave the linear tracking turntables out of the question. These are the best tables for tracking due to the vinyl is cut the same way on a lathe, which makes the tracking force almost to zero.

I would like for you to name the brand and model, and why you choose that particular model. If this is rehashing an old topic I apologize. I'm sure there are other members who would like to know, especially if they are looking to add a turntable to their audio system. I know some of you will think it's all about what we prefer for our own satisfaction.

I do not want this thread to be a bashing of certain brands/models, nor do I want this thread to get closed. I want this to be a healthy discussion among the members of this forum. So, lets get this thread under way and lets have a good debate on what we perceive to be the best vintage full automatic turntable.

One thing to add. Spec on wow/flutter when new is one thing. How the unit is when it ages, how reliable it is with 30 years or so, another thing. Same goes for the brand you choose. What I would have been wild about when new, now I wouldn't own. What was second or third choice, now is what I use daily. Intelligent thoughts and accumulated over many years, some of them the hard way.
 
The Dual 1249 is very good vintage fully automatic changer, not yet mentioned on the thread.
Charlie
I’ll second the Dual 1249. I use mine several times a week. It’s a beast of a table. I’m still on the hunt for a Dual 721. A Dual 704 is my daily driver and it’s fantastic. The 721 is the full auto version of the 704.
 

Attachments

  • E7703A01-189A-4EE9-877A-4CE16B151B61.jpeg
    E7703A01-189A-4EE9-877A-4CE16B151B61.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 30
Technics SLQ3 is a great quartz locked direct drive table with many of the virtues of the 1200's.

But it is also more complicated mechanically, and lighter weight, cheaper construction (but excellent itself). A automatic SL-1200 Mk II almost would be a SL-1600 Mk II, the real closest to that you will find. And built comparably on a similar grade chassis.
 
I only have one table that is manual. The rest are all automatic. Dual 1219, Sony PS-X600, Sony PS-X55, Sony PS-X45, Yamaha PX-3, B&O 4002, I think that's it. Oh, I have a couple of Garrard Zero 100 too, but they need some work. And finally a NIVICO that I think is manual, but it has been a while since I looked at it. I could be wrong.
 
This thread was started in 2015. His wife has probably given up and is just streaming Spotify.

Kenwood KD 4100 (best sounding with any cart)
Denon DP45f or 47f
Diatone/Mitsubishi DP-EC 5

Can only speak from experience.
 
If you want something simple for the wife, how about a Technics SL-J series. I know it's a linear tracker, direct drive quartz locked. Only slightly larger than a 12" record. Very simple to use, lift lid, place record on platter close lid, push button. I have a SL-J3, does everything automatically. Sets speed according to record size. Mine you can even set it up to play tracks in any order. I used one in the bedroom system. Replaced it with a BIC 980 another fully auto table, surprisingly good performer. Suffers from seized platter syndrome, BIC used 90w gear oil, using heat frees up the bearing, threads here on AK. A belt drive, but the belts don't turn to goo. Also a changer, can play up to 6 records, a bit more complicated, have to set a slide to the number of times you want the record to play and press a button. Both of these tt's are good at producing music. I wouldn't say they are the best, but then trying to define the best is difficult.
I agree Technics SL-J series is so easy to use. I bought my teen son an SL-J2. It’s like using a CD player.
 
Last edited:
I’m going to nominate the Technics SL-1300MK2 if you want a fully auto.

If the cueing/automatic systems are properly repaired and working correctly. SL-1300 is much more reliable than a Mk II was. The latter didn't have a high failure rate in warranty, either. Cleaning and lubrication on the latter, they work like new.
 
Yup, I had a Denon DP-47F w/ Ortofon Super OM-10 that lost much of it's auto functions. I sold it as a manual turntable for less than it was worth. They are troublesome for sure.
View attachment 2507415



Also the discontinued TD148A if you can find one
View attachment 2507422


td 148a is a POS. The tonearm is great but the overall build quality is terrible. I sold it quickly

dp-47F was just as good with several diff carts.
 
Sucker for punishment but so far they all function as expected, had to buy the Hitachi recently, it looks elegant:

Sony PS X60
JVC QL Y5F
Hitachi HT 500


00F0F_3fsRGPX7Ijrz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

279619839_5412839605434785_5052464377203434809_n-2.jpg
 
I agree, great turntable, not overly complicated and some thought went into addressing feedback plus it has a very well regarded tonearm. I do not use mine as much as I should though now that I am at 5 turntables, you would think 1 or 2 would be sufficient. Despite the bling factor of the JVC and Hitachi I do like the rather industrial look of the Sony. Another under appreciated TT.
 
I would add a Yamaha PX1, or the JVC QL-Y66F, as it has mag lift on the platter which just about does away with any rumble.
 
Back
Top Bottom