• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The biggest and baddest CD/DVD/SACD Players of all time

Dazaa

Super Member
Following on from the pre amplifier thread, i'll start off with two I own.

Sony X7ESD cost around 1700 new and weighs 17KG, copper plated chassis, an absolute work of art.


IMG_2777.JPG IMG_2778.JPG IMG_2779.JPG

And one I just finished repairing, £15 for a new laser and it's perfect. Denon DVD-A1XV 19KG and apparently over 3k new in 2004/5. Unfortunately mine came from a scrap metal bin so looks like it was dragged along the back of a truck.


IMG_2780.JPG IMG_2782.JPG IMG_2783.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
Sony SCD-1 ( http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-SCD-1.html )

412A4NAXPFL.jpg


 
Following on from the pre amplifier thread, i'll start off with two I own.

Sony X7ESD cost around 1700 new and weighs 17KG, copper plated chassis, an absolute work of art.


View attachment 1300871 View attachment 1300872 View attachment 1300873

And one I just finished repairing, £15 for a new laser and it's perfect. Denon DVD-A1XV 19KG and apparently over 3k new in 2004/5. Unfortunately mine came from a scrap metal bin so looks like it was dragged along the back of a truck.


View attachment 1300874 View attachment 1300875 View attachment 1300876

Having once dragged a piece of "stereo equipment" along the back of my car (long story), that Denon looks pretty damn good!
 
I own 4 of the 5 units mentioned already. Feeling pretty fortunate here.

What? No rules or guidelines? (e.g. must play SACD, DVD, and CD or must be a 'one chassis' unit).

If not, then I submit the following (I wish I owned this one)

Accuphase DP-100/DC-101
accutdac.jpg

MSRP: $28,000.00
DP-100: ~42 lbs
DC-101: ~46 lbs
 
Panasonic DVD-H1000 and DVD-H2000. One of the first progressive scan DVD players, it had MSRP $2995 in 2000. This beast weighs in at around 40 pounds due to the cast metal chassis. Check out the awesome analog sound section on the left. It is mirrored for exceptional separation. I compared it against my Sony CDP-XA7ES and it came very close to matching the sound. It was close enough that I parted with my XA7ES. Today, the DVD-H1000 can be had for well under $100.

qc1q74q.jpg


oH85d23.jpg


alWtL0L.jpg
 
I would show a Sony CDP-XA7ES but regrettably, it is gone. Honorable mention to the Yamaha CDX-1120. It is dual transformer and has no less than four d/a chips. It's sitting on top of the Panasonic. Sadly, the Yamaha cannot match the Panasonic, the Panny is that good.

sTRUkh6.jpg
 
Last edited:
Panasonic DVD-H1000 and DVD-H2000. One of the first progressive scan DVD players, it had MSRP $2995 in 2000. This beast weighs in at around 40 pounds due to the cast metal chassis. Check out the awesome analog sound section on the left. It is mirrored for exceptional separation. I compared it against my Sony CDP-XA7ES and it came very close to matching the sound. It was close enough that I parted with my XA7ES. Today, the DVD-H1000 can be had for well under $100.

qc1q74q.jpg


oH85d23.jpg


alWtL0L.jpg
If they could be found, but the smd elyticaps are a deal breaker for me. Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.
 
Got it. That's the logic and video sections?? I'm thinking either it works or it does not. If it does and can deliver CD sound, I'm happy.
I think that's it, and I'd be up to something better than my actually pretty good Elite DV-45A, but I doubt it would be $15.
 
I think that's it, and I'd be up to something better than my actually pretty good Elite DV-45A, but I doubt it would be $15.

I like Pioneer Elite DV's. Here is a DV-47A to go along with my VSX-56TXI. These are real budget busters. I've got $60 into the two.

sUHnESO.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom