• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Critical Drinker absolutely nails it. South Park Panderverse.

I still would not watch any of them. I want something more than an action movie (that is usually thin on the plot).

I watch movies with a good story and good character development. This usually means, independent films, and some of them even come out of Hollywood.
That, and having some point(s) of interest that can vary, such as theme, location, context, ect.
 
Entertainment in general caters to the lowest common denominator. We here at AK make sport of criticizing popular culture. I am including myself in that assessment.
It’s nearly impossible to find anything mildly worthwhile on the tube. That goes for professional sports too.
I don’t mean to belittle the skills of the artists and producers, it’s mostly a testament to what people want to see, or more likely what we are told we want to see.
 
I mostly just collected old ones. Never really was into reading them, I jumped feet first into reading Fantasy novels at a very young age.
I came to own my late father's collection. He had a #1 Sgt Fury and His Howling Commandos. I was hooked.
I own #1 Deadpool, #1,2 and 4 of Venom, and #1 Sabretooth.
Not worth much.......now.
Remaking "Patton" with Queen Latifah isn't going to cut it.
This is better than my oft-quoted "Ali", staring Mark Wahlberg.
honest portraits of them in realistic settings.

Your post, as always, was a lesson in writing and getting an idea across.

This line is the crux of the biscuit. Well stated.
 
The Critical Drinker's review of South Park's Panderverse finally put a proper possessive of this whole issue. It was "Barbie" that pulled me up short. I realized "Barbie" was a biting comedy. How can a movie be "woke" when the Barbieverse has always been this way since the introduction of the Barbie doll 1959. I am not the gender that dotes on "Barbie" I know ladies in their 70's that are. I should have talked to them about the Barbie Movie and not watched the wazoos on YouTube. Were I am coming from is the stupidity of ruining money making franchises to kowtow to Social Media piranhas. Than blaming the fans for not lining up at the Cinemas to watch this stuff. Hollywood does not seem to realize they are not the center of the arts and entertainment universe anymore. There are other countries that are producing TV series, and Movies that blow away most of what the big studios are making.

An example of this is the Russian movie Mira (2022). I Spotted the trailer on YouTube. Looked via my VPN in the EU and found it but it did not have English subtitles. I watched a little of it but I wanted to wait for subtitles. The basic story is a petulant teenage girl, and her estranged father who is on board the Mira Space Station who keeps watch over his daughter from orbit. They detect an incoming meteor storm from a shattered asteroid, or comet? ( no subtitles ). The father contacts his daughter to warn her what is coming and helps her get to safety. Her frantic race to safety, and her father watching and helping is the whole story. Her frantic escape efforts pulls you in as she over comes each setback. I saw all this in the short period I allowed myself to watch it. The major studios can no longer make a simple action movies like this. It cost 6 million USD to make. Just think how many movies Disney could make like this with the 200 to 300 million they are now spending on one movie that loses money.

I read Modern Drunkard Magazine, myself.
 
I came to own my late father's collection. He had a #1 Sgt Fury and His Howling Commandos. I was hooked.
I own #1 Deadpool, #1,2 and 4 of Venom, and #1 Sabretooth.
Not worth much.......now.
I had a tiny but quality collection. F4 #2 thru #10, a few very early Superman and Batmans.

I still have #1 TMNT in the 7 3/8 x 10 7/8 size that I bought when it came out around here somewhere.
 
Last edited:
One thing from the vid struck me was (paraphrasing) "being sick of the culture wars", seemingly attached to anything expressing empathy for the "other" as expressed a pointed aggressive lack of empathy for something or someone perceived as somehow a threat by their existence to be erased altogether from society by any means, co-existence being acclaimed unacceptable.
 
Entertainment in general caters to the lowest common denominator. We here at AK make sport of criticizing popular culture. I am including myself in that assessment.
It’s nearly impossible to find anything mildly worthwhile on the tube. That goes for professional sports too.
I don’t mean to belittle the skills of the artists and producers, it’s mostly a testament to what people want to see, or more likely what we are told we want to see.
Makes finding the gems that will probably be cancelled worthwhile, while they last.
A good story, well-told can be about anything/ anyone.
 
Yeah, the Beatles, a boy band, were actually a thing weren't they :no: :no::no:
In the Cub Scouts we made Beatles paper mâché head puppets and put on a "show" (I Want to Hold Your Hand). I made and "played" Ringo.

Musically speaking, my oldest album is Rubber Soul, which IIRC was after their teenager heart throb phase. :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom