• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Crow called McIntosh I’m about to eat - MC 2105

Thank you all for the kind works :) I am just over the moon with this amp. @Johnny_Law not sure what lamps he used but yea it’s nice and bright and just pops. This amp has had some serious work done to it. I am working with the AK member who did the work to get a full list of mods. I want to give it a good week of listening so I can give a fair review. So far I am just floored. I hooked it up to a National Panasonic SU-3604 as I love the preamp on this unit. It seems to be great match for the amp.

I can tell you JBL and McIntosh seem to be made for each other. I really didn’t think this amp would be anything special. I’m so happy I was proven wrong. I really am shocked at how it just opened up the sound stage and just seems to image like no other. I can’t figure out even how to explain it but it has a character or texture that’s just so smooth, it’s not warmth, tho the amp has great warmth. It’s just got this extra smooth sound that has had me singing and dancing and moving around while I listen. I am really happy with this amp, this thing really did make me eat my words.
 
Many chase amps with flavor. Mc has none. People will erroneously say Mc built their earlier SS amps to sound like tube amps. They're only half correct in that their tube amps were designed first and foremost to be neutral.

McIntosh is home for those preferring their electronics don't add or subtract from the media. And the amplifiers really mate up well to a very wide variety of speakers vs a select few.
 
and wow; just wow. Hands down, without fail, by far the best amp I’ve ever owned.

This amp is nothing short of amazing…I get it, I totally get it now. It’s that grunt and warmth but clarity like no other. I can’t stop looking at it too lol

Amazing, I truly feel blessed.

Congratulations, And welcome to the MC-Frenzy. Of course now you’ll be MC-Curious about what a McIntosh preamplifier will sound like paired with that 2105. Great thought…But…Try not to go down that road too fast. Bask in your newfound blue-eyed MC-Glory. Eventually, you’ll probably go on a MC-Preamplifier Quest…But…today: Resist. And one day soon you might ask: “And what about the warm liquid glow of MC-Tubes?” Another worthy question. But, again, RESIST for now. Keep your eyes on those beautiful bouncing blue meters. You’ve got a keeper!
 
Many chase amps with flavor. Mc has none. People will erroneously say Mc built their earlier SS amps to sound like tube amps. They're only half correct in that their tube amps were designed first and foremost to be neutral.

McIntosh is home for those preferring their electronics don't add or subtract from the media. And the amplifiers really mate up well to a very wide variety of speakers vs a select few.

well said, it sure seems to play well with my other gear.
 
Congratulations, And welcome to the MC-Frenzy. Of course now you’ll be MC-Curious about what a McIntosh preamplifier will sound like paired with that 2105. Great thought…But…Try not to go down that road too fast. Bask in your newfound blue-eyed MC-Glory. Eventually, you’ll probably go on a MC-Preamplifier Quest…But…today: Resist. And one day soon you might ask: “And what about the warm liquid glow of MC-Tubes?” Another worthy question. But, again, RESIST for now. Keep your eyes on those beautiful bouncing blue meters. You’ve got a keeper!

Thanks man :) I can’t wait to get it out of the box and on feet.

9B6EAF76-3295-4B5B-B792-10D2D7562109.jpeg

B2FCD919-08AE-4AFE-8D52-837AACCC83A0.jpeg


I’ll be putting some love to the cabinet as well. It needs to be refinished.
 
“Shifted frequency response. Way more robust PSU. Added a differential pair, to help with circuit stability, shifted the bias circuit so that it runs in more in the class A zone, than B since they ran so cool

About 15/105 watts is class A”

For you tech folks ^^

that’s what was modded on it :)
 
Congrats.
2105 is my main amp at home. I have always loved it. It sounded great when I got it and after a re-cap it is really singing.
Also, I love the setup - lots of vinyl in that room - great TT.
Enjoy!
 
Sberger, Looks beautiful! Congratulations? (Computers are the Devil’s Playground.) MAC techs should weigh in here, but I’ll say that I’ve bought used MAC pieces for decades. They’re built to last. Some needed absolutely nothing done to them. They were still up to spec. Others needed overhauls. Yours looks well-loved. Best to take it to a Tech—but if it ain’t broke…. I use Audio Classics—on the East Coast.
 
Sberger, Looks beautiful! Congratulations? (Computers are the Devil’s Playground.) MAC techs should weigh in here, but I’ll say that I’ve bought used MAC pieces for decades. They’re built to last. Some needed absolutely nothing done to them. They were still up to spec. Others needed overhauls. Yours looks well-loved. Best to take it to a Tech—but if it ain’t broke…. I use Audio Classics—on the East Coast.

Thanks my friend.

Obviously you don't realize that you're speaking with a long time McAholic well into the throws of his addiction:D Audio Classics has been the beneficiary of a significant amount of dosh feeding this bum!

D36-EB121-12-FE-43-B0-A65-D-7-F14-F09-E7-CCC.jpg


2D364B0A-394C-4767-BC23-B86099E04313.jpg


7-E879-CC5-C041-4-F59-8-C3-A-57-D413-B758-D3.jpg


35FC439B-088E-46A5-8DA8-8449D0683CC0.jpg


That's a sampling of current gear. Also have a couple of CR7's, a C24, MR 74...well you get the idea.

I've also owned an MC2105(and MC2300, MC2100, C20, C22, C34V...) before, and for some nutty reason sold it. Had no plans whatsoever to buy another one anytime soon, but this thread, plus the fact that one came up in locally in very clean shape at a great price and can be delivered to me did me in. Previous owner was involved in the Bay Area music scene for many years, and unfortunately now is terminally ill so a friend is helping him get rid as much stuff as possible so his wife won't be stuck with it. A local tech checked it out, deemed it good to go at least for now, and really didn't need anything other then the lights he changed and some cosmetic spiffing up. I'm back and forth with wholesale recapping. I'm in the if it's tube gear of a certain age, electrical update are required. Fro solid state if things measure out, no leaking, etc, I takes my chances and hope for the best. I don't typically like the sound of new caps in amps or speakers, but put up with them where needed.

So that's the story.
 
Man I have been such an avid anti-Mac listener for year. Thank you @Ben LaVigna for making me eat some crow.

I’m not kidding I’ve even gotten myself into some hot water in the site over this topic. @MAC TED I owe you an apology…. I was wrong. I stand by my experience with the 6100 and have videos of it on YT with some of the issues I didn’t like about it. That said this 2105 has really opened my eyes, never again will a negative word about McIntosh ever leave my lips. I actually feel ashamed for not having more experience with the brand and not realizing that some of there unites are simply amazing. I am going to do a full review on this thing I have the the original caps set aside for some pic.

Some cool history on this unit. -

so Ben is the grandson of the head of engineers for the Marantz corp, in the 70s-90s. I am beyond blessed to live near him and know him. He’s an MIT grad as well. He’s a young buck but man does he know amplification. He’s also an audiophile as well. He starred a company for restoration work. That’s how I found him. I begged him to join AK :) He is a wealth of information, and some really amazing audio history. Anyway, he’s the one I got the amp from. This was his personal unit with some cool mods. We swapped for some gear I had, I think he was trying to get me to like McIntosh hahah man did he do just that. This amp has blown me away.

F7160313-BBFE-48B8-80C8-C3B19AE5E7B5.jpeg 405103EC-F570-413D-A86E-A922FA56E948.jpeg

So I’m now staring to rotate all my gear through him, any of you who consider any work at all needs to consider him, his pricing is substantially lower then anyone in the market. No up charge for parts, you pay for labor, and at cost parts that’s it…. He also uses really nice caps. I have an Optonica SM-4301 playing now that he gave me back yesterday… amazing. Amazing amazing. His choice of caps and select translators and a few mods has this little guy pushing 60wpc from the stock 40 and is ice cold. Im know low voltage due to work, i solder like a pro and not bragging but I know how to solder. If you know you know. His solder work is impeccable ducking impeccable! Even his choice solder is next level, oh and on top of all that he interned at PA audio…

@Ben LaVigna

I want to be the 1st person to shout it to the rooftop that his work is amazing.

Full review on this amp to come shortly!
 
Man I have been such an avid anti-Mac listener for year. Thank you @Ben LaVigna for making me eat some crow.

I’m not kidding I’ve even gotten myself into some hot water in the site over this topic. @MAC TED I owe you an apology…. I was wrong. I stand by my experience with the 6100 and have videos of it on YT with some of the issues I didn’t like about it. That said this 2105 has really opened my eyes, never again will a negative word about McIntosh ever leave my lips. I actually feel ashamed for not having more experience with the brand and not realizing that some of there unites are simply amazing. I am going to do a full review on this thing I have the the original caps set aside for some pic.

Some cool history on this unit. -

so Ben is the grandson of the head of engineers for the Marantz corp, in the 70s-90s. I am beyond blessed to live near him and know him. He’s an MIT grad as well. He’s a young buck but man does he know amplification. He’s also an audiophile as well. He starred a company for restoration work. That’s how I found him. I begged him to join AK :) He is a wealth of information, and some really amazing audio history. Anyway, he’s the one I got the amp from. This was his personal unit with some cool mods. We swapped for some gear I had, I think he was trying to get me to like McIntosh hahah man did he do just that. This amp has blown me away.

View attachment 2640840 View attachment 2640841

So I’m now staring to rotate all my gear through him, any of you who consider any work at all needs to consider him, his pricing is substantially lower then anyone in the market. No up charge for parts, you pay for labor, and at cost parts that’s it…. He also uses really nice caps. I have an Optonica SM-4301 playing now that he gave me back yesterday… amazing. Amazing amazing. His choice of caps and select translators and a few mods has this little guy pushing 60wpc from the stock 40 and is ice cold. Im know low voltage due to work, i solder like a pro and not bragging but I know how to solder. If you know you know. His solder work is impeccable ducking impeccable! Even his choice solder is next level, oh and on top of all that he interned at PA audio…

@Ben LaVigna

I want to be the 1st person to shout it to the rooftop that his work is amazing.

Full review on this amp to come shortly!

Is Ben in San Jose?
 
Back
Top Bottom