vinyl1
Super Member
In my Living Stereo thread, I spoke briefly about London and Decca pressings, and there seemed to be some interest. Rather than go off topic there, I am posting this new thread.
Many critics, including Michael Fremer, have alleged there is little difference between London and Decca pressings of the same LP. They came off the same line at the same factory, using the same stampers, so why should they be different? People who claim they hear differences must be listening to to different cuttings, which of course will vary.
In order to perform a proper test, therefore, I had to obtain good copies of the same Decca and London LPs with the exact same lacquer. These records are physical descendants of the same hunk of vinyl that was mastered by one of Decca's cutting engineers, and should have very similar characteristics.
The other thing you need, of course, is a high-resolution system and an experienced listening panel. Fortunately, I have access a fine system at some of the equipment-review sessions I attend. On this particular day, Sunday January 31, we used the following equipment:
Kronos Sparta turntable with Helena tonearm
Air Tight PC-1 S cartridge
Allnic H-3000V phono stage
CH Precision L1 line stage and M1 amps
YG Acoustics Anat III speakers
Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects and power cords
Third Stage speaker cables
The listening panel consisted of me and three other experienced listeners.
Many critics, including Michael Fremer, have alleged there is little difference between London and Decca pressings of the same LP. They came off the same line at the same factory, using the same stampers, so why should they be different? People who claim they hear differences must be listening to to different cuttings, which of course will vary.
In order to perform a proper test, therefore, I had to obtain good copies of the same Decca and London LPs with the exact same lacquer. These records are physical descendants of the same hunk of vinyl that was mastered by one of Decca's cutting engineers, and should have very similar characteristics.
The other thing you need, of course, is a high-resolution system and an experienced listening panel. Fortunately, I have access a fine system at some of the equipment-review sessions I attend. On this particular day, Sunday January 31, we used the following equipment:
Kronos Sparta turntable with Helena tonearm
Air Tight PC-1 S cartridge
Allnic H-3000V phono stage
CH Precision L1 line stage and M1 amps
YG Acoustics Anat III speakers
Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects and power cords
Third Stage speaker cables
The listening panel consisted of me and three other experienced listeners.