• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The English Corvette - Our Triumph TR8

A Triumph Corvette you say?

All in fun, my nephew, President of the Detroit Triumph club, installed one of his extra Spitfire engines in an old Corvette body that was destined for the crusher. His Spitfire and TR3 also shown.

I think it needs a license plate that says "S U Too"
 

Attachments

  • daves cars.JPG
    daves cars.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 31
Just installed a camera overlooking the driveway.
Its a real nice neighborhood, I probably don't need to be this cautious, but since I've already got the
software running on my mac for the PondCam, it was easy enough to just add another camera.

DrivewayCam-TestMount_5934.JPG

I'll probably trim the bushes a bit more once I confer with Emma (its her "weekend" day, she was off playing pool!)
Want to notch it more a bit left of her Honda SI, where the TR8 will sit.
 
Issues to be resolved with Emma over the next year or so. She likes the hedges and all of that, and you can see the main AC power connects to the house in that area.
We have an architect friend I'll pose that Q to once she frees up from some of the massive projects she's already involved with.
Local city code requires a slab under a garage or carport, so the concept is something not to be taken lightly. Maybe by next summer a project to revisit.

Well, I had a good dent in it already, and I wasn't beat, but since I've had my share of hours on the chiropractic table in the past,
so when it came to plugging ahead over the next week or so, or dropping a few hundred to them to finish it (and - same day!!)
It was no contest. The price was right, we had cash handy, and wisdom prevailed over ego! And - it was expedient.

View attachment 3281796
Part of being older and wiser , just because you can do a certain project doesn’t mean you have to do it yourself and sometimes smarter to have some one else do it who can do it more efficiently , leaving you to tackle other projects on the to do list !
 
Did some trimming and put the Fit in place to make sure I could see the car clearly ...
I think it works! The camera is somewhat obscured and there's still room for Emma's car -

DrivewayCam-2024-09-04.jpg
 
Last edited:
Oh, Emma found a Youtube video of Woody Cooper's (owner of The Wedge Shop) personal TR8 coupe, tagged "Bad 8",
with a 5 liter Rover aluminum V8 and all kinds of go fast speed parts


Bad8Motor_5237.JPG


Its a real monster - hitting 7000 rpm -
 
Congratulations!!

I'm sure you can't wait to have the car home with you both.

Please post some pics of it when there....love to see one with the hard top on too?

Enjoy and be safe....
 
Congratulations!!

I'm sure you can't wait to have the car home with you both.

Please post some pics of it when there....love to see one with the hard top on too?

Enjoy and be safe....
Truly! I cannot wait to put tags on it and start enjoying the drive!

It current has old Pirelli HP tires, so one of my first task is to go to my friend Paul's shop and get 4 new tires on it!

I just heard back from the shop - they've done all these updates and we are sorting details to get it shipped here next week!

- Rear end fluid had already been done, looked new and wasn't leaking. Replaced bolts and lock washers
- Trans fluid changed, 2 plug gaskets
- Removed lower rad bracket and straightened. JB welded a new pin on the lower radiator because the pin had broken off. Drilled one broken bolt and
replaced with Rivnut. 1 good used radiator bushing. Replaced all bolts.
- Removed center fog lights (our request - for some reason, the car had 4!)
- P/S Belt
- Drained P/S fluid and replaced with ATF and Lucas additive
- Alternator bearing feels fine, no noise.
- Replaced cracked expansion tank small hose
- Radiator cap, topped off coolant
- Tightened luggage rack, replaced 2 missing screws
- Trunk Pistons (the luggage rack adds weight to the trunk lid)
- Reattached broken purple wire for trunk light switch
- HR1 oil and wix filter
- Cleaned and installed hardtop. Put mounting brackets on body
- Lowered choke high idle
- Straightened antenna and tightened base
- Wiper blades
- LED dash bulbs
- Shift bushings
- Braided clutch line and bled
========================================
 
Truly! I cannot wait to put tags on it and start enjoying the drive!

It current has old Pirelli HP tires, so one of my first task is to go to my friend Paul's shop and get 4 new tires on it!

I just heard back from the shop - they've done all these updates and we are sorting details to get it shipped here next week!

- Rear end fluid had already been done, looked new and wasn't leaking. Replaced bolts and lock washers
- Trans fluid changed, 2 plug gaskets
- Removed lower rad bracket and straightened. JB welded a new pin on the lower radiator because the pin had broken off. Drilled one broken bolt and
replaced with Rivnut. 1 good used radiator bushing. Replaced all bolts.
- Removed center fog lights (our request - for some reason, the car had 4!)
- P/S Belt
- Drained P/S fluid and replaced with ATF and Lucas additive
- Alternator bearing feels fine, no noise.
- Replaced cracked expansion tank small hose
- Radiator cap, topped off coolant
- Tightened luggage rack, replaced 2 missing screws
- Trunk Pistons (the luggage rack adds weight to the trunk lid)
- Reattached broken purple wire for trunk light switch
- HR1 oil and wix filter
- Cleaned and installed hardtop. Put mounting brackets on body
- Lowered choke high idle
- Straightened antenna and tightened base
- Wiper blades
- LED dash bulbs
- Shift bushings
- Braided clutch line and bled
========================================


Awesome .... sounds like they were very thorough! Which is what one would want.

One step closer!!!! :)
 
Truly! I cannot wait to put tags on it and start enjoying the drive!

It current has old Pirelli HP tires, so one of my first task is to go to my friend Paul's shop and get 4 new tires on it!

I just heard back from the shop - they've done all these updates and we are sorting details to get it shipped here next week!

- Rear end fluid had already been done, looked new and wasn't leaking. Replaced bolts and lock washers
- Trans fluid changed, 2 plug gaskets
- Removed lower rad bracket and straightened. JB welded a new pin on the lower radiator because the pin had broken off. Drilled one broken bolt and
replaced with Rivnut. 1 good used radiator bushing. Replaced all bolts.
- Removed center fog lights (our request - for some reason, the car had 4!)
- P/S Belt
- Drained P/S fluid and replaced with ATF and Lucas additive
- Alternator bearing feels fine, no noise.
- Replaced cracked expansion tank small hose
- Radiator cap, topped off coolant
- Tightened luggage rack, replaced 2 missing screws
- Trunk Pistons (the luggage rack adds weight to the trunk lid)
- Reattached broken purple wire for trunk light switch
- HR1 oil and wix filter
- Cleaned and installed hardtop. Put mounting brackets on body
- Lowered choke high idle
- Straightened antenna and tightened base
- Wiper blades
- LED dash bulbs
- Shift bushings
- Braided clutch line and bled
========================================
Tell him he forgot to replace the muffler bearings ! Lol
 
I'd be tempted to use up the old tires first on the rear end by smokin' em wherever & whenever one could do this safely, privately & away from the nosy cops. Then swap front to back & repeat. My v-8 Gremlin back in the 70s - early 80s went through this routine quite often, great fun! (young g.i., seemed like the thing to do at the time.
But alas, times have changed, we've aged, along with some of the hard-to-source British parts, so there's that. Enjoy your " shape of things to come" little rocket, you deserve a unique toy that'll be sure to be a conversation starter & head-turner.
And there's no better color for it than British Racing Green! ( I changed the color of my 76 tr7 from shiite-brown to BRG once the body was bare. Great move! Project still not complete though.)
 
If you plan on a bit of "spirited driving", as the brits describe, a strut tower brace may be money well-spent for a bit of structural rigidity. I recall seeing those for sale for the v8- powered cars some years back while rebuilding my tr7.
. The tr7s didn't need as much, obviously. What they did need was the 5-speed tranny though!
 
Getting dead tires off the paint is annoying though. I need tires on my Mark 7. Tread is ok but 10 years old now. Just have to see if i want to do it this year or next. Basically just keeping my eyes open for a sale.
 
@gadget73 10yr old tires. Man your a real dice roller. In 225/60/16 there are lots of new tires under 100.00. Man I thought I was cheap but some of you folks here make me look like a Rockefeller. I guess it makes sense on a vintage audio forum. Lol

Also most shops won’t even touch a tire that is 10yrs old. If you get a nail or screw in one they won’t plug it. A hope for your sake and others that share the road with you, your 10yr old tires don’t suffer a blowout at speed.
 
Last edited:
When my son moved, he borrowed my tandem axle trailer to make three round trips from the L.A. area to the central valley. The trailer had tires on it that might have had 2000 miles on them, but they were 12 years old.

When I pulled it into America's Tire for 4 new ones, the salesman looked at the date code on the practically new tires and thanked me for not killing someone.
 
@gadget73 10yr old tires. Man your a real dice roller. In 225/60/16 there are lots of new tires under 100.00. Man I thought I was cheap but some of you folks here make me look like a Rockefeller. I guess it makes sense on a vintage audio forum. Lol

Also most shops won’t even touch a tire that is 10yrs old. If you get a nail or screw in one they won’t plug it. A hope for your sake and others that share the road with you, your 10yr old tires don’t suffer a blowout at speed.
Garage kept, no cracks, and about 20k miles. Its not quite the ticking time bomb you probably assume them to be. I'm not so cheap that I'm willing to risk my own life with them.
 
Got some pictures from Woody in MA this evening showing us what the car looks like now that they got the hardtop I bought installed - WOW!!
Black hard top looks great against the Poseidon Green Metallic paint. Top cleaned up real nice!
We wondered how it would fit with the rollbar and all - looks like no problem!
Can hardly wait until it arrives sometime next week!

Green8-wHardTop_202120082.jpg

Green8-wHardtop_202131364.jpg
 
Got some pictures from Woody in MA this evening showing us what the car looks like now that they got the hardtop I bought installed - WOW!!
Black hard top looks great against the Poseidon Green Metallic paint. Top cleaned up real nice!
We wondered how it would fit with the rollbar and all - looks like no problem!
Can hardly wait until it arrives sometime next week!

View attachment 3291518

View attachment 3291519
For you it’s like the week before Christmas or any apropriate holiday ! lol
 
Back
Top Bottom