• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The entire music industry is confused...(new high res technology using bluray)

dnewma04

The Healer
http://hd.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=621460

Some gems:

"Longtime collaborators, Schnee and Sax are showcasing their new high resolution recordings to be issued on a music-only format utilizing Blu-ray Disc technology, giving consumers an unprecedented opportunity to experience digital music that rivals 2-channel analog sound."

Rival? CD has already exceeded analog for how many decades now? At least in terms of resolution, dynamics, S/N ratios, etc. What makes these people think that even more significantly better numbers are going to turn audiophiles on to their format?

'While the industry has made a steady shift toward compressed audio, we believe that home audiences deserve a richer listening experience and there is a tremendous opportunity with emerging high definition technology to develop a medium that can successfully maintain the integrity of an original recording,' said Bill Schnee, award winning music engineer. 'We look forward to fusing our visions with Pioneer to develop this format for Blu-ray, and giving a taste of what is to come at CES.'

And what makes them think that a general public that seems to prefer compression and lots of it will jump on the bandwagon here? Or, even better yet, how will this technology stop the engineers from continuing to muck everything up like they have with CD? It seems like most of today's engineers can't seem to exploit the potential or CD and they have even gotten their hands on even a lot of today's vinyl. Good engineers that do create a good mix/remix exist and produce outstanding recordings on today's current formats.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to oppose advancement in technology, but how can I trust what they say with the garbage the "experts" are spewing that are driving the technology?
 
Register to hide this ad
I guess it could catch on about as good as SACD and DVD-Audio? A agree with you Dave. Its mastering that matters not the format. Existing formats are perfectly capable of achieveing quality sound.
 
It would be so much nicer if the engineers just kept the recordings intact and electronics mfgs spend about 1.00 for the electronics to add a compression button. Call it something happier than compression button and market the crap out of it. That way, when the situation calls for it, it can be engaged or disengaged and we get good music.
 
It would be so much nicer if the engineers just kept the recordings intact and electronics mfgs spend about 1.00 for the electronics to add a compression button. Call it something happier than compression button and market the crap out of it. That way, when the situation calls for it, it can be engaged or disengaged and we get good music.

Interestingly enough, the Delco stereo in my Chevy truck has that very feature.
 
I'm encouraged that Doug Sax is involved. Along with Steve Hoffman and a few others, he really understands mastering.

Ken
 
What does a compression button due on your Delco radio in your pickup? Does it convert the CD audio to a compressed format? I guess I don't understand this function.
 
I can understand why Steve Hoffman is involved in this process. He still remasters vinyl which was declared dead how many years ago? He also does SACDs of some of the same material he has remastered for vinyl. As a matter of fact, a lot of jazz remasters are coming out on SACD everyday.

Blu-Ray has a head start on SACD and DVD-A because it can be played on any Blu-ray player. SACDs and DVD-As required a special player to work. This lead to a lot of confusion. Also, I never saw one ad for SACD and what it takes to play the format, while BluRay is in every ad for new movies.

Not that BluRay will be the end all be all for music. I don't think it will be. However, I think it will make a nice niche product in the audiophile family. The only concern I would have as a consumer is how I will get that recording to my computer or on CD. BluRay is comprised of heavy DRM. Hopefully, they will include a hi-rez version that can be ripped to a computer..... If not, I am not going to spend much money on it.
 
Dave, I think you're reading a journalist's interpretation of a press release written by a marketing guy. That it has as much relation to reality as it does is surprising.
 
It would be so much nicer if the engineers just kept the recordings intact and electronics mfgs spend about 1.00 for the electronics to add a compression button. Call it something happier than compression button and market the crap out of it. That way, when the situation calls for it, it can be engaged or disengaged and we get good music.

How about calling it the C.R.A.M. Defeat button? (CRAp for the Masses or Cranial Rectal Audio Modulation)
 
What does a compression button due on your Delco radio in your pickup? Does it convert the CD audio to a compressed format? I guess I don't understand this function.

It would be dynamic compression, not data compression. It will increase the average level of the signal in relation to the peaks. It makes sense in an auto because you'll have a high noise floor (unless you have a Rolls Royce or similar) so you're increasing the lower volume parts of the signal to overcome it. Try listening to "The Wall" next time you're on the road. You'll find yourself constantly adjusting the volume because the quiet parts are really quiet and the loud parts are really loud (AKA, very dynamic). With Celt's button the quiet parts would be louder and the loud parts would be quieter. Everything would be more even and would work out better while driving.

The same would hold true for Dave's button. If you're having a party, you want the background music at a certain level. Very dynamic music would mess with that so compressing it would make sense. Or choosing different music.

Ray
 
Analog compression is different than digital compression. I think that's what Ray said above, but he's smarter than me.

Analog compression is all over "Let it Bleed." We like it.

Digital compression makes some CDs hard to listen to. New Black Crowes, for instance.

I'm becoming a big fan of Pioneer.
 
Bad sound has always been built into Delco stuff, Celt.

1.) Uh, I have heard some pretty nice sounding Caddy's from back in the day running big ole Delco systems. Long before Bose and everyone else stuck their heads into car audio.

2.) But, the issue as I see it is not the medium - blue ray or whatever, but the target audience. Those folks who put Flowmasters on their rice rockets or Bubba trucks can't hear quiet passages. They need a signal compressed to the rails so it's all loud enough to compete with their moving public nuisance mobile entertainment centers. Since they are spewing noise pollution, we need the same compressed signal so we can hear music over their comings and goings.

OK, that's my rant - I live on a busy road that leads to "the lake" :grumpy:
 
Analog compression is different than digital compression. I think that's what Ray said above, but he's smarter than me.

Analog compression is all over "Let it Bleed." We like it.

Digital compression makes some CDs hard to listen to. New Black Crowes, for instance.

I'm becoming a big fan of Pioneer.


Ken,

What Ray described is exactly what happens with CDs. Whether it's done via analog equipment or in the digital domain doesn't matter, it's the fact that the dynamic range is squashed that kills the realism.
 
Back
Top Bottom