• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Expendables

fotno

Lunatic Member
A while back I put this one on my Netflix queue, it came, I watched it. It doesn't suck.

It's like a time machine in a way, because it has all the hallmarks of those late '80's shoot-em-up flicks that Stallone, Norris, Schwarzenegger, and Seagal made so famous, or infamous if you prefer. Like those films; The expendables is mostly Bombs, Bullets and Bullshit.

Mostly.

Then there's Mickey Roarke.

*If you haven't seen this movie and plan to, here's your Spoiler alert*


Stallone's character (Barney Ross), leads a team of mercenaries who pick their jobs chiefly on which one will pay the best. They're commissioned (by Bruce Willis) to liberate a small island run by a puppet dictator and his drug running money people. Having surveyed the island with a lovely maiden in distress, Ross decides it's a suicide mission, far too dangerous to proceed with so few men. However, he can't get the young woman, and her dedication to her people/home off his mind.

At this point, he visits with Roarke (Tool - A tattoo artist and former member of Ross' team) who delivers a monologue that stands out in this film like a diamond in a dung heap. Follow the link below, and watch Roarke give a clinic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OXwVxIN_kA
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I enjoyed it, although I could have done without the entire scene with Sly, Willis, and Arnold. That was the low point for me. Loved the gun that Terry Crews was toting.
 
I enjoyed it, although I could have done without the entire scene with Sly, Willis, and Arnold. That was the low point for me.

Can't say I cared that much for it, but I know why they did it. Supposedly, the sequel will see the return of the cast from this film (with Willis and Schwarzenegger playing larger roles), and adding both Jean-Claude Van Damme and Chuck Norris.

Expendables II - "Their AARP cards have expired, and boy are they pissed!"

Loved the gun that Terry Crews was toting.

That's an Atchisson AA-12, fully auto 12 gauge. I would not want to be on the receiving end of that thing.
 
Last edited:
Own it, can't wait for II. Reminds me of movies like Buckaroo Bonzai and Last Action Hero were reality and fantasy clash but are oh so fun to watch anyway. You just have to let go and spoil yourself with stupid fun.
 
Don't mistake what I'm trying to say in my first post, I enjoyed The Expendables for what it was. A fun, silly, shoot-em-up. And there's nothing wrong with that. My post was intended to point out just how incongruous Roarke's monologue is when compared to the rest of the film.
 
Just watched it tonight and enjoyed it! And you're right, Rourke was amazing in that scene. And might I say Stone Cold makes a great bad guy!
 
Back
Top Bottom